Two Queens In Hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sound advice, Adam, thanks. I have taken it on board.

I'd be interested in what happens next year. Come March/April - it would be very educational to know if she (the old one) is still in lay. If she is, it qould perhaps indicate some of these "Queen Problems" Roger Patterson has been talking about where they seem to superceded unnecasarrily if she's not, and/or if she's croaked, then probably it was a standard supercedure. Either way, it would be interesting if you remember.

Adam

I frankly do not think there is anything sinister going on with queens.

What is going on is vastly increased communications between beekeeprs and better informed beekeepers who actually look in the brood box which is in general a relatively new phonemon. Many of the old school never did work the brood so never saw the queen unless it was whilst running her in in a swarm.

Even given that unless the queens are marked and or clipped how is the beekeeper to know?

PH

What is going on is vastly increased communications between beekeeprs and better informed beekeepers who actually look in the brood box which is in general a relatively new phonemon. Many of the old school never did work the brood so never saw the queen unless it was whilst running her in in a swarm.

PH

Yep, i agree.... was talkking to an 88 year old beek on Saturday who commented that it is only since the advent of varroa that he has looked into his hives. Prior to that the only time he had seen a Queen was when hiving the odd swarm. He also commented that he has got less honey since he started to do hive inspections.

Latest posts

Back