Two Queens in hive with 2 or 3 eggs being laid in each cell

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaytee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
I've just been into a hive that superceded in the autumn and now has 2 marked queens both laying on 2 separate frames. The hive is very weak with only 2 frames of brood so I added a frame of sealed brood from another hive to boost the numbers but today I noticed that in some cells there were 2 or 3 eggs while in others the normal 1 egg; all were in the bottom of the cell. There isn't any drone brood or drones in the hive and all the capped brood appears to be normal in a regular pattern with only 1 uncapped larvae per cell. I've never encountered this before has anyone else and if so any suggestions about what I should do if anything?

It sounds like the younger queen getting into gear, leave them to it. The egg police workers will sort out the multiple egg cells.

It sounds like the younger queen getting into gear, leave them to it. The egg police workers will sort out the multiple egg cells.

Agreed, old queen will disappear sooner or later.

I've just been into a hive that superceded in the autumn and now has 2 marked queens both laying on 2 separate frames. The hive is very weak with only 2 frames of brood so I added a frame of sealed brood from another hive to boost the numbers but today I noticed that in some cells there were 2 or 3 eggs while in others the normal 1 egg; all were in the bottom of the cell. There isn't any drone brood or drones in the hive and all the capped brood appears to be normal in a regular pattern with only 1 uncapped larvae per cell. I've never encountered this before has anyone else and if so any suggestions about what I should do if anything?

I suppose the lack of bees has held back the colony and the frame of sealed brood just may be enough to get things going and your new queen may prove herself but it has taken a long time so far.

Thanks for all replies. Quite a few young bees flying in front of hive today so I'll leave them to it for a while and see what happens.

Latest posts

Back