tree nest thermal model

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A lot is said about what bees experience in the wild in their tree nest. So to better understand the characteristics of the tree nest, i have built a full size(40 litres) model of one based on the dimensions of the mean tree cavity found by Seely and Morse in the 1970's. This model seeks to emulate the thermal characterisitics of a tree nest so I can better understand the differences and similarities with the hives I construct. I didnt make it out of wood... 6" of timber is rather heavy, so instead i built it from the insulation equivalent of foam. I hope to post some of the measurement results later. Note: The hexagon shapes are purely a means of approximating cylinders from flat sheets. It is not intended to use it as real hive.

picture.php

picture.php

model bees in the model tree nest :)

picture.php

Last edited:
Warre would have been proud of you - and I wonder if he would have used insulation sheet to build his hives?

In case the above is lost on anyone, Warre based his hive design, as I understand it, on what he felt was the natural size of cavity they would choose in a tree. There was a bit more to it I think as maintaining the correct atmosphere in the hive was also very important.

first trial run before I get the proper instrumentation together...
the internal seams have not yet been sealed (propolised?)

Using a 10W resistor as a heater with a thermocouple, the model came up to 4C above ambient but then stuck. The tempory set up was leaking heat through the small gap caused by the wire on the roof seal. A bit of cling film over the gaps got the temp upto 10C above ambient.

The gap must have only 1mm at one side but its quite profound an affect on the temp.

Now to do it properly

Latest posts

Back