transferring a nuc to 14 x 12 brood

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drdoug

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi,

I am looking for advice on the best may to transfer a nuc on standard brood frames to a 14 x 12 hive.

I was thinking of having a standard brood with the five nuc frames on the bottom, then the 14 x 12 brood with new frames.wait until the queen is laying in the 14 x 12 ( and I know she is on those frames) then place a queen excluder between the standard and 14 x 12 until any brood in the standard has hatched. At that point I would remove the standard box and frames.

Does this sound ok ?

Thanks for any suggestions.

If I was doing it I would add the standard frames to a 14x12 box with frames and gradually work out the shallower frames as they became clear of brood.

Thornes do an extension which converts bs deeps to 14x12.
Or cut down spare frames and attach with a plastic hoffman converter.

If I was doing it I would add the standard frames to a 14x12 box with frames and gradually work out the shallower frames as they became clear of brood.

:iagree: seen it done a few times without any problems KISS

I did think of the approach of just putting the standard frames in the 14 x 12 brood and work them to the outer edge and then replace.

I assume I could remove any drone comb from the bottom of the standard frame as varroa control.

One other question. Do I need to feed the nuc when I transfer or will it be ok without ?
Thanks

One other question. Do I need to feed the nuc when I transfer or will it be ok without ?
Thanks

depends on several factors: how strong the nuc is, how much stores do they have, how much forage is available. What you don't want is the bees filling up all available space with stores when the queen is desparate to lay, also a lot of bees will be occupied with wax making instead of brood rearing. couple of pints maybe to get them going, but it mostly depends on the strength of the colony

Thanks. Been told it's a strong nuc. Will see how they are when I get them and maybe give a little syrup.

Thanks

I did think of the approach of just putting the standard frames in the 14 x 12 brood and work them to the outer edge and then replace.

I assume I could remove any drone comb from the bottom of the standard frame as varroa control.

Exactly what I'm planning. Working well so far, but six days in may be too early to tell.

It's not always drone comb they build, most of it is worker cells, as above work them out gradually. You could always to a Baileys next year if things don't work out as planned

:iagree: seen it done a few times without any problems KISS

+1 ... I've done it .. they just add comb to the bottom of the frames .. I had a national frame in my 14 x 12 hive with free comb on the bottom of it that was three years old ... once it's been used for brood a couple of times the comb becomes pretty rigid so there's no desperate need to rush to get rid of them - just move them out to the end of the hive gradually and take them out of use when they are no longer being used. I would not bother chopping the comb off the bottom unless you have a serious varroa problem.

When I got my first nuc a few years back I fiddled around making frame extensions to fit into 14 x 12.

Was quite pleased with them at the time, but if I were doing it now wouldn't bother with them.

Attachments

• Frame adapter 002.jpg
    Frame adapter 002.jpg
    391.4 KB · Views: 8

Latest posts

Back