Tradex - Perrycroft Bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How strong and durable is the stuff from 3d printers? Theres quite a lot of pressure involved with pressing foundation.

It's not durable really. ABS goes brittle, PLA can't stand any heat, those being to most common filaments used.

They are really good for mould making and prototyping and for odd bits and pieces. I use mine mostly for making parts for my drones - the big ones with electric motors, not the male bee ;)

It's not durable really. ABS goes brittle, PLA can't stand any heat, those being to most common filaments used.

They are really good for mould making and prototyping and for odd bits and pieces. I use mine mostly for making parts for my drones - the big ones with electric motors, not the male bee ;)
:laughing-smiley-004:laughing-smiley-004:laughing-smiley-004

interesting idea of impregnating paper with wax and embossing it, dose anyone know if the bees work it ?

i had a go at making my own foundation years ago with a nylon impression sheet and an old clothes mangle ,a kit i bought at a bee auction, what a pain that was and the quality of the finished foundation was not great ,
in the end i just saved up my wax and traded it at Thornes for the foundation that i required

how many people have tried to make their own foundation ?

Make all our own foundation here.

im guessing you have a large set up which warrants the all the equipment time and effort,
for me at the time i just couldn't get the quality and as i had abundant quantities of wax, it was to much trouble

When I first started making all our own foundation it was all made using a Herring foundation press and mangle, sounds like that is what you have.

When I first started making all our own foundation it was all made using a Herring foundation press and mangle, sounds like that is what you have.

yes it could be described as that, the wax sheet was first made by poring molten wax onto a wooden board,then peeled off the board, the sheet then placed between the herring bone impression and then put through a mangle quite time consuming

Thanks Hivemaker for the links, i dont have the foundation making equipment anymore, it was long before the internet was about,and now its so much easier today with the info available and the likes of youtube, beekeepers have all the information they need

Thanks Hivemaker for the links, i dont have the foundation making equipment anymore,

Shame, people keep asking me where to source the kit.
It is a fiddle and takes some knack but once you've got it good foundation can be rolled out at a reasonable speed. Melting the wax is the time consuming part.

Back