Tradex - Perrycroft Bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think I'm familiar with "backing paper". How does that work? ta

I thought the most interesting part was that they were dipping paper into wax and then impressing the cells into the waxed paper to make the foundation.
I can see how this would provide some strength to the comb.
Can't comment on the quality of the rig, but it looked like a novel idea to me.

The rollers looked fine too.

Proof would be when the bees draw the foundation out though.

It's a shame no one asked why they used paper to dip into the wax. My thoughts are that you get a uniform thickness for every sheet of wax to emboss. I don't think it would add strength.

I think the paper would help stop the wax from being brittle and shattering. If you've ever made a thin sheet and let it cool completely you'll know it's very prone to cracking when bent even slightly.

it's only the frame that is wood. You must take care not to misrepresent, both you and JKB are making sweeping statements about something you have not seen. You both carry a lot of weight on this forum, with this comes responsibility. Many on here, rightly or wrongly, look to you for advice.

The frame is made of wood, however the rollers are made from a robust plastic composite material. The item is currently being developed, the 'inventor' was careful not to make claims he could not support. One can maybe understand why he has not explored the 'jumbo' langstroth route yet, hardly a big market for this niche product.

Surely we should be giving people like this considered feedback to encourage innovation in our hobby?

BTW it is purely coincidence that this guy lives just 10 miles from me, I met him for the first time on Saturday.
Last edited by 3bees; Yesterday at 09:20 AM.

Thanks, but I can read. A wooden frame is cheap rubbish for what is required to be a fairly precision tool. It will not retain dimensional stability over years of service. Get real and understand that a proper framework is required, not a cheap numpty wooden ‘clothes horse’ frame.

He may well be your ‘mate’, I don’t know. I am simply honest and would not recommend anyone handing out multiple £100’s of pounds on something that is unlikely to make a return on investment.

You may be right about ‘carrying weight on the forum’. I would not have any weight at all if I were to recommend a poorly built item, such as this, as a good investment.

When it is dimensionally stable, I might change my mind. Until then it would most definitely not be on my shopping list. It needs a rigid metal shaft and frame. The frame, at least, is a priority before any credence can be attributed to this supposed ‘new invention’, the roller might be stable - but that might depend on the way the ends are supported.

Now go away and get him to build it properly. Then come back and show us the viability of the investment. I shall not be holding my breath until you do!

The ones with metal frames and metal rollers are more expensive and rightly so. About £380 including postage. They look a different class for the extra £145.
s-l225.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Beeswax-...694142?hash=item21310a867e:g:l0YAAOSwVqlZ9hLv

..... they were dipping paper into wax and then impressing the cells into the waxed paper to make the foundation.

Ah ha! Thanks for clarifying that, sean-a.

Their website shows a rather wrinkly piece of foundation and I had been wondering if this was down to the density/stability of the rollers but, perhaps, it's down to the paper?

I confess that, as it's made of what appears to be plywood, I thought the website was showing a prototype, not the finished article for sale....

Many thanks for all the comments.

BF are those Russian? I seen some on ebay but think the ones I seen would need duties added?

Yes, I think they are Russian.
Russian engineering is usually pretty solid...anyone remember the old Zenith SLR camera, build like a brick sh%^t house with a half decent lens for around £50 about 40 years ago!
If I was heading down that route of rolling my own foundation these ones would be strong contenders.
Not sure what price limits for imports from Russia are.

Yes, I think they are Russian.
Russian engineering is usually pretty solid...anyone remember the old Zenith SLR camera, build like a brick sh%^t house with a half decent lens for around £50 about 40 years ago!
If I was heading down that route of rolling my own foundation these ones would be strong contenders.
Not sure what price limits for imports from Russia are.

I had a Zenith - 50 years ago or so.. about £35 iirc.. 100% reliable and good pictures . I cannot recall properly but I think it had a light meter - not coupled tho..

Latvian roller on ebay http://tinyurl.com/y83amuzs

with something from outside the eu might be about 100 on top for the eu tax,i got something from usa which cost 50 and 50 for postage then 50 for eu tax

with something from outside the eu might be about 100 on top for the eu tax,i got something from usa which cost 50 and 50 for postage then 50 for eu tax
Strange they charged you so much when it only cost £50. The guidelines suggest if you buy goods online from outside the EU for delivery to the UK, you'll have to pay Customs Duty (if over £120 value) and Import VAT (if over £18) on top of the purchase price (including duties), though Customs Duty is waived if the amount of the calculated duty payable is £7 or less.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/UK-Buying...y-Parcel-Force-Fees-/10000000013589137/g.html

it did - my first SLR (camera, that is)

The very early versions Zenith model B, didn't have a light meter, it was the later ones the model E that did. A needle you could see through the viewfinder as I recall. Alter aperture/speed until it was in the middle....press shutter and done.

The very early versions Zenith model B, didn't have a light meter, it was the later ones the model E that did. A needle you could see through the viewfinder as I recall. Alter aperture/speed until it was in the middle....press shutter and done.

My old age has clouded my memory :nono:

How strong and durable is the stuff from 3d printers? Theres quite a lot of pressure involved with pressing foundation.

Back