Tools

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on what you mean by 'make'. A lot 'think' they make their own hives when assembling flat pack. Some of us might start with large sawn planks and sheets of material, or in the extreme, the odd one or two first cut up their trees.

Frames as well?

If making them from scratch, then i would of thought a saw and router would do.And a Hammer .

a saw and router would do.And a Hammer .

Ahh, so you don't need to measure or check for squareness? :) OK, most modern saws have a built-in set square, these days. :)

I don't use nails, so a screwdriver would suit me better than a hammer.

Regards, RAB

Last edited:
ok, sorry. Tools for accurate measument and cutting of wood for someone with limited wood work experience. E.g. What electric saws do people find best for accuracy etc cheers

table saw, router, mortise gauge, square, large steel rule, sharp pencil, cordless drill or screwdriver, hole cutter, staple gun or hammer and a first aid kit. You could probably get most from a car boot sale or E**y. You could build it without the power tools but it will take you a lot longer and would need a set of sharp chisels.

The rebate on the top and bottom rails, but you can make this cut with a table saw but I find it easier with a router, There is no wrong way or right way to do this just what you find the easiest way to do it. There will be lots of people who will tell you that their way is easier.

I am also going through this rather than using the father in laws rather well equipped woodwork shack. I am consider adding at home

Bosch GTM12 + GTA2600 STAND [flip over mitre / table saw with stand]
Dakota Deluxe Full Size Router Table [to add to a modest Axminster router but that could be upgraded if needed]
Axminster Multi-Purpose Workshop Bench

anyone any experience of these? I have lathes, pillar drills and the usual hand tools already.

I am also going through this rather than using the father in laws rather well equipped woodwork shack. I am consider adding at home

Bosch GTM12 + GTA2600 STAND [flip over mitre / table saw with stand]
Dakota Deluxe Full Size Router Table [to add to a modest Axminster router but that could be upgraded if needed]
Axminster Multi-Purpose Workshop Bench

anyone any experience of these? I have lathes, pillar drills and the usual hand tools already.

The only thing i have found with the flip overs is the Cutting height is a bit shallow of bench circular saw.I googled your spec above and its Quote >
Cutting height of bench circular saw 51mm
I would like a bit more cutting hieght and go for chop saw and seperate table saw.

I find some G Clamps and something like this is very handy

I use sash cramps and screws (some advocate assembly on a flat queen excluder). If all pieces are square and to dimension, they must assemble to the required size, so comparing diagonals is as good as fitting it on a queen excluder for shape and size. So I have never used a corner clamp with G clamps, or whatever. But if they help, then go ahead. Just slows you down a great geal, as I see it.

I'm happily playing with my version of this - a trunk of cedar rough sawn into 2" and 1" planks which I've stacked and am working through to turn into either brood or super widths. I've toyed with routers but a pain to adjust (working outside, no warm workshop, unfortunately) so am sticking with a (decent)circular saw to cut 2 rebates in each 2" plank, producing the basic profile to be cut to length, either full boxes or nucs dependant on where the knots are :)
The cedar just works so easily and smells pretty good as well - just make sure your final dimensions are accurate, otherwise have fun!

The only thing i have found with the flip overs is the Cutting height is a bit shallow of bench circular saw.I googled your spec above and its Quote >
I would like a bit more cutting hieght and go for chop saw and seperate table saw.

Thanks, useful comments, off to ponder

Yes that's what I've done. Have a Scheppach (cheapest one) table saw. Reviews said fence was good but I find it is not exact. Usefule piece of equipment though.
Chop (mitre) saw is quick but the stops are not accurate when doing multiple cuts (measure each one then).

No router as yet. Have managed without one so far.

Cutting height is a bit shallow

Thanks, useful comments, off to ponder

One thing often initially overlooked is that the effective depth-of-cut is seriously reduced as the angle increases (or decreases) from 90 degrees, for cutting chamfers, etc.

If making a few units then two bits of ply "sharpened" at all four ends, set at right angles accurately to the precise ID diagonally of your box will enable you to cramp them squarely every time with no messing about. Think of an accurate cross that will snugly fit into the right angle at each corner.

Set it up once, and it's there until it breaks.

PH

Latest posts

Back