Too much trickling syrup ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finman

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Take care that you give a proper volume trickling syrup onto bees.

If there are too much, bees come wet and they walk away from their cluster sure and they have difficulties to cluster again. I give then saw dust to catch extra syrup from hive. They can cgange the cluster site.

If cluster fills only 1/4 out of box, 10 mm is perhaps enough. If cluster fills half of one box , 20 mm is enough.

50 ml is meant to 2 box cluster. 30 ml is meant to one box full if bees..... 5 ml/seam is for double brood full of bees.

It is sometimes difficult to say if most of bees are near bottom. But it is good to peep after 2 hours, what happened to bees when you trickled.

I leave my bees in peace during the winter. No over-wintering problems if the winter bees were not infected with viruses by varroa mites, while in the pupation stage. That means kill the mites in the autumn, before the winter bees are reared. Simple enough?

Take care that you give a proper volume trickling syrup onto bees.

If there are too much, bees come wet and they walk away from their cluster sure and they have difficulties to cluster again. I give then saw dust to catch extra syrup from hive. They can cgange the cluster site.

If cluster fills only 1/4 out of box, 10 mm is perhaps enough. If cluster fills half of one box , 20 mm is enough.

50 ml is meant to 2 box cluster. 30 ml is meant to one box full if bees..... 5 ml/seam is for double brood full of bees.

It is sometimes difficult to say if most of bees are near bottom. But it is good to peep after 2 hours, what happened to bees when you trickled.

Useful information, thank you. Not everyone can treat in the autumn and forget.

When you inhabit swarms, trickling is very good treatment to clean then.
Often the swarmed parent hive becomes often broodless before the new Queen starts to lay. That is a moment to treat the hive. No scent to honey.

Last edited:
But what Oliver said, Late summer treatment is necessary and trickling does not work alone.

Have you heard of spraying broodless colonies with 1% Oxalic acid, comes from a very reputable source that you know. I'm guessing it is like hiveclean?

Have you heard of spraying broodless colonies with 1% Oxalic acid, comes from a very reputable source that you know. I'm guessing it is like hiveclean?

I have done it, but 1% OA did not work . IT should be 3%.

IT is hard job to do. Spraying on each side of frame. I have done it to two broodless hives, and varroa killed the boath.

I have done too, that I have shaken bees onto ground and sprayed 3% oxalic acid onto bees. At once tens of mites stopped from bees. But spraying drop bees' temperature 5C and in 12C out temp bees will become rigid.

Mist of solution is not healthy to the beekeeper. On the air solution dryes up at once and pure acid mist goes into lungs.

There are many stuffs which kill mites but question is, how to make the hive broodles before bees start to make winter brood. And where to put meanwhile the boxes of yield.

I have used trickling since 2003.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back