Feeding syrup for comb building - when should I stop?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodlandRob

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Hi everyone. I have recently put a nuc into a hive, so they have a lot of work to do this summer drawing out enough comb to fill their brood box. I read that you give them sugar syrup to help them build comb - so I have done.

The weather is nice, the bees are flying and collecting. Plenty of bees in hive taking the syrup too. Guessing they are getting/taking the sugar and pollen that they need and that this is all fine.

Question is, do I keep feeding syrup until they have drawn their whole brood box out? Only remove it when I add a super (if I even get chance to this year given the amount of work they have to do in the brood box)?

Many thanks. I am a slightly nervous newbie so support is appreciated!

Feeding now is to simulate a flow. If they are "collecting" and bringing in nectar, a flow is on and I would not feed. I am sure others would in this situation however. ( I try not to force my bees to do stuff) A feeder which is slow, such as a contact feeder fools them into thinking it is a flow and they will use the syrup. If a rapid feeder is used they will store the syrup and that could contaminate supers later.
If you do feed then stop as soon as frames are drawn. I would shuffle the frames as they are reluctant to draw against the box walls

Feeding now is to simulate a flow. If they are "collecting" and bringing in nectar, a flow is on and I would not feed. I am sure others would in this situation however. ( I try not to force my bees to do stuff) A feeder which is slow, such as a contact feeder fools them into thinking it is a flow and they will use the syrup. If a rapid feeder is used they will store the syrup and that could contaminate supers later.
Good advice... with this weeks weather and the amount of spring bloom around they don't need feeding - remove the feeder they will build the comb if they need it, when they need it.

Hi everyone. I have recently put a nuc into a hive, so they have a lot of work to do this summer drawing out enough comb to fill their brood box. I read that you give them sugar syrup to help them build comb - so I have done.

The weather is nice, the bees are flying and collecting. Plenty of bees in hive taking the syrup too. Guessing they are getting/taking the sugar and pollen that they need and that this is all fine.

Question is, do I keep feeding syrup until they have drawn their whole brood box out? Only remove it when I add a super (if I even get chance to this year given the amount of work they have to do in the brood box)?

Many thanks. I am a slightly nervous newbie so support is appreciated!

It would be good if you state below your avatar where in the UK/planet your apiary is.
Here in Suffolk there is a strong flow (I placed 3rd super on most hives yesterday) - so no need to provide syrup to build comb. If you're in Shetland then syrup would be advised.

In Norfolk. moved last of my nucs in to hives this weekend. OSR now in flower and bees drawing frames like no tomorrow! :)

Sorry - location is South Cumbria. Neither down south or northern Scotland. Sounds like the consensus is to let them get their own food now the sun and flowers are out. Many thanks for all the help

Latest posts

Back