Too late for third super?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SireeDubs

House Bee
Reaction score
Nr Exeter (originally from Gogledd Cymru)
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
7 + nucs
Just done an inspection and super 1 pretty much capped and ready, and surprisingly (only because I'm relatively new to this and have endured terrible summers so far!), super 2 is well along. I was planning removing them mid Aug.

Is it too late to add a super? I was thinking that if this weather continues, then they'll fill it (super 2 only on 3-4 weeks).

Thanks in advance. Still a total novelty to think of getting ANY honey!
T

if that second super is already occupied with bees working it then add another super, the flow from the bramble species will last a couple of weeks yet.

if that second super is already occupied with bees working it then add another super, the flow from the bramble species will last a couple of weeks yet.

:iagree:
At the moment they are almost filling a super a week, so go for it

Keep adding till they stop putting stuff in! If it is uncapped and half full by the end of the summer leave it for winter food
E

Just put a third super on one last night and a fourth on another this morning - planning more supers all round next week!

same, had to make up more flat pack supers from my resevre stock, other beekeepers are asking me if i have any spare..wax...frames...supers

i'll lend them only to friends ,so normally say /SORRY i don't run a shop for beekeepers

I'm planning 5th and 4th supers on Sunday... Need to build them, frames and all!
I'm fast running out of everything!

My 17 lime trees are white with flowers. My supers are green with its nectar....hooray!

Managed to extract three today and then put two straight back on and the third will be back on Sunday. Just hope I can keep extracting ahead of them to save me making up more stock

Just to ad the honey extracted was a lovely dark honey with a caramel flavour and perhaps chestnut.

Last edited:
I've also run out of supers so just put a full one over a clearer board for extraction tomorrow......

Easy to say but it's becoming a real effort to lift a full super onto the top of 3 other supers on a bb sitting on 18" hive stand!

Thanks very much for advice and news everyone. Much appreciated. Third super on and fingers crossed. No OSR where I am, but lots of bramble flowers and wild flowers. Can't believe how fast they can go when the conditions are good (have had only dire summers till now!).
T

The only good thing about the last couple of years is that I have ended up with lots of drawn supers to put onto 2 very strong and large hives, having lost 5 hives over this last spring. Lime, blackberry and HB all in flower!! So 4 on one and the double brood box is getting full and starting on the super now. Will be checking on Thursday ready with more. ps, will make sure queen has plenty of room to lay!

Last edited:
Had been told not to expect too much in first year so am so pleased that one hive is filling second super (despite swarming in June) and second hive which was a swarm we collected in June will need a second super today/tomorrow. Also we put a section frame in that super more in hope than any real expectation and it is being filled. Wow!

There's been a definite change over the last few days.
Wet supers put back on hives very quickly become dry supers rather than being quickly refilled.
Bees now showing a lot of interest in honey drips on the truck - they couldn't care less last week. Last Thursday in a rush I left a hive open and forgot to go back until Friday, but the bees had simply abandoned their full supers and walked home.

The flow has now stopped. Hopefully just a temporary blip but time will tell.

There's been a definite change over the last few days.
Wet supers put back on hives very quickly become dry supers rather than being quickly refilled.
Bees now showing a lot of interest in honey drips on the truck - they couldn't care less last week. Last Thursday in a rush I left a hive open and forgot to go back until Friday, but the bees had simply abandoned their full supers and walked home.

The flow has now stopped. Hopefully just a temporary blip but time will tell.

What are you expecting to provide the flow when it possibly re-starts Chris?

Not too far away (less than 20 miles)from Chris B, bramble and lime over, Willow herb still going, clover as well.

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk 2

Loads of forage yet , remember we are at least three weeks behind!
VM

Latest posts

Back