Todays inspection - please comment.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nake, i thought over what you can do to encourage brooding.
First, put bees as small space as occupied frames need plus 10 mm space between wall and comb.

an insulated inner cover. 30 mm polystyrene board or same insulation value.
.10 x 20 mm entrance
solid bottom.

so the nuc shoud be so warm that the queen may lay all frames full.

another way is that you bye to the nuc 1 or 2 brood frames. That is fastest way to them to winter condition.

third: join these two and bye a 5 frame nuc.

A bit of brood spreading won't go a miss. At last inspection I swapped a frame of eggs with a frame of sealed brood, placing the brood to the outside of the nest to help provide extra warmth for the wax builders.

Hawklord,

In 3 days time, or less, that hatching brood will be maintained at over 30 degrees.

Regards, RAB

I have nursed bees 47 years.
I gave you an a good advice but . .
and then you make the stupids thing i ever heard. kill your colony in peace.

but what you mean, out of nest,
i thought that out of hive ? ? Outdoors?

but try to understand, bees have saving mode on all the time and they do not draw combs if thex do not need them. It takes huge energy.

Last edited:
I have nursed bees 47 years.
I gave you an a good advice but . .
and then you make the stupids thing i ever heard. kill your colony in peace.

but what you mean, out of nest,
i thought that out of hive ? ? Outdoors?

but try to understand, bees have saving mode on all the time and they do not draw combs if thex do not need them. It takes huge energy.

The frame of brood was moved so that it was the first, or last frame of brood in the nest. The next frame was being built, so obviously they are expanding. The brood on that frame should have hatched today at the very latest, so surely that heat given off will help manipulate the wax. When I do my next inspection at the end of this week we will see if I did the right thing. My intention is to move the last frame of foundation on that side to the other side thus putting all the workers drawing wax on 1 frame.

I couldn't do an inspection tomorrow, which would have been 7 days since the last inspection, so I did it today instead. What a surprise I got, not only has the frame of brood hatched and been re-layed but there was another 2 frames of eggs. So that's 7 frames of eggs/brood in various stages, 2 frames are being drawn, 1 foundation and the last is old drawn frame with some pollen that I am trying to work out of the hive completely. There was a couple of capped drone cells and 1 empty queen cup. What should I do next inspection? I'm thinking that at the current rate I may have to take the entrance block out, and provide some more room, either a super or try to get another set of brood frames drawn for next season. I'm guessing it will be far too late next week to do an AS?

When you 'inspect', it is learning happenin to beginner what is natural course of colony. to experienced beekeeper inspection tells is the hive going to arrange surprises.
You need not to do anything if things are ok.
Inportant knowledge is the growth of colony. One brood frame gives 3 frames of bees. It gives new nurser bees too and queen may lay more.

If I inspect in 5 days from now, at the current rate of lay there will be another 2 frames of eggs, that's 9 full frames, with 1 to draw and 1 to fill. There will be little to hatch for another week and very little space for the queen to lay in.

I'd be tempted to put a super on top of the brood box, with the QE on top of that, to make a 'brood and a half'. That'll probably see this season out and you can remove it later if necessary.

Latest posts

Back