To control swarming or not

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
someone been shaking the scrabble bag again I see

Its certainly

a

very odd way

of writing

responses, to

messages.

It's incred
ibly

difficult to read

and hurts my

eyes

Is there any statistics of how many swarms make it over winter? I’ve been interested in bees for 5 years, live in a rural area and have never seen a feral colony Seems to me they are safer in my box where they get treated and cared for

Seeley - in the US- quotes somewhere that > 80% ## of swarms left to fend for themselves fail to survive the first winter..

## it may be 90%...

So - if true- those who let swarms escape in the name of "saving the bees" or "natural beekeeping" appear basically to be bee killers...:paparazzi:

Seeley - in the US- quotes somewhere that > 80% ## of swarms left to fend for themselves fail to survive the first winter..

## it may be 90%...

So - if true- those who let swarms escape in the name of "saving the bees" or "natural beekeeping" appear basically to be bee killers...:paparazzi:

Well that’s sort of my thinking! Maybe pre vaorra they might have been alright but it’s seems a different ball game now

Maybe he's been snorting the Bundaberg -r

Now that does bring back some very fond memories of returning from a partially successful Marlin fishing trip back into Cairns...the skipper allowed us to sample a variety of his Bundabergs on the way back....we were on "sea legs" when we got back to port..

Its certainly
[....]
hurts my

eyes

Noted is n0t an iota of crtique on the work. Clearly tr0llin' well practiced.

Attached are the variations in software presentation my posts are built on,
best allowance made.
Given it is not expected readers - or posters for that matter - own any
ability in tuning/running text editors I pass the monkey back to you
and yorn (ilk). By example I have done more than enough to accomadate
this forum's software glitches.

As to those tottering speculators?
There is a particular Bundy aimed at the Vhurguns(L plate drinker), an
easy sippin' 'cordial'(syrup), the Seppo gene in the user will feel the Luurve.

Real M3N only crack Bundy OP over ice.

Bill
--

https://www.rumratings.com/brands/152-bundaberg-red

Attachments

• SWeditr.jpg
    SWeditr.jpg
    490 KB · Views: 18
Classic retort of a haver of bees rather than a beekeeper - make your mind up, which is it?
Or just stop trolling for a reaction

If not rigidly following the dogma that you'd like me to follow makes me a 'haver of bees rather than a beekeeper', then I'm happy with that.

But as I have already mentioned, I practice swarm control and treat my bees.

Not trolling, just felt the need to question the gross generalisations, again.

Surely, if we try to stop our bees from swarming and fail, that makes us incompetent as well as irresponsible.

Having followed this forum for a few years, it has always amused me that you descend so quickly into abusing people you don't agree with.

If that was your goal, you've succeeded, I'm amused! :D

If not rigidly following the dogma that you'd like me to follow makes me a 'haver of bees rather than a beekeeper', then I'm happy with that.

But as I have already mentioned, I practice swarm control and treat my bees.

Not trolling, just felt the need to question the gross generalisations, again.

Surely, if we try to stop our bees from swarming and fail, that makes us incompetent as well as irresponsible.

Having followed this forum for a few years, it has always amused me that you descend so quickly into abusing people you don't agree with.

If that was your goal, you've succeeded, I'm amused! :D

I must admit I practise swarm control but fail - on two particular hives.. Just incompetence I suppose (or unwilling to inspect when it is pouring down and on the first dry day, they are off before I can inspect..)

No, it makes us human - not trying/bothering makes one irresponsible.

Making excuses for not doing so makes one a fool

I try to push the bees in the direction I want them to go, but the final decision is always theirs, especially when it comes to swarming.

No, it makes us human - not trying/bothering makes one irresponsible.
The comment about incompetence was meant as irony, obviously lost on a couple of people here!
It was a gross generalisation like the comment about irresponsibility! :D

Making excuses for not doing so makes one a fool
A fool I maybe, but I'm not making excuses.
If honey production was ones only goal, then yes, it would be foolish to lose bees to a swarm.
I'm Just trying (and failing) to suggest a different point of view.
I'll try again. :)
The OP clearly made the distinction between urban and rural settings.
If one lives in a rural area and there will be no repercussions due to the bees swarming, then where is the harm?
Where is the irresponsibility?
They've lost bees that they don't mind losing, no one is affected, the bees have done what they want to do, why is that a problem to anyone?
Again, for the record, I have bees in rural and urban areas, I practise swarm control.

(edit)
If one lives in a rural area and there will be no repercussions due to the bees swarming, then where is the harm?
Richard hasn't expanded or participated so who knows what his thrust was (really) in
pointing to "rural" - and I'm not getting any more from your further input other than a
request/urging to assume the intention in any response.
I address the impact for managed bees in my post #18.
Other (feral) colonies in suburbia are going to be a localised social 'thing'.
Neighbouring ferals in a rural apiary are going to be an apiary management issue.

Here (.au) ferals in rural areas can also be an environmental issue - at least according to
our State forests administrators where in some States there exists a 3klm exclusion zone
for apiarys bordering on State forests, this to 'protect' our native bees.

Frankly, where a person with bees in their care cannot see how regression affects
the colony then perhaps those bees are better off elsewhere as at least then they
would be safe from further impacts of inattentive husbandry. Like not be a hazard to
other managed bees and entirely free to die out without 'help' in doing so.
?
?

Bill

Bingevader I get your point and I agree with you, it’s a very reasonable question and one that I would consider asking but just don’t bother. As you can see from the responses, the whole subject gets trashed by the usual subjects. You have to realise that people who post thousands and thousands of times just like to admire their own posts. They don’t seem to have any other life other than watching a screen for responses. It’s frustrating when a topic ends like this but I guess we should just show sympathy towards these individuals.

Bingevader I get your point and I agree with you,
it’s a very reasonable question and one that I would consider asking but just don’t bother.
(edit)

TBH... Richard's question was built around a false premise and I believe
included a significant typo. For myself only I can say the question is addressed
as per my understanding of the purpose of "Beginners" - see post #18.

Richard's post implys a philosophy, as best I am able to decipher the message.
So again. airing in this section only invites some to wax lyrical, as they do in the
General forum. I can see that airing of views doesn't really belong here, however
in the absence of any input from Richard - other than a giggle - I couldn't join
you in declaring the topic a waste of time reading.
It is what is...by creation, I note.

Bill

There was a beekeeper near me a few years ago that had an apiary of swarm generators. He didn't treat either and needed to re-stock each spring - either to varroa loss or the colonies were too small to survive winter would be my guess. All very natural and eco friendly one might suppose, but that's not being a beekeeper.
Despite me living 'in the country' most swarm calls I get are in town/urban areas and if a colony is living in the chimney or inside the fabric of the home, it is almost certainly going to be destroyed.

Even with our best efforts, we as the beekeeping community, will lose swarms. To plan to lose them does not make sense to me.

I'm bowing out after this, but...
I address the impact for managed bees in my post #18.
These "regressive" behaviours may have an impact on the honey production, but they are fulfilling an need in the bees. They're reproducing for goodness sake!
I'll skip the bit about feral colonies in AU for now.

Frankly, where a person with bees in their care cannot see how regression affects the colony then perhaps those bees are better off elsewhere as at least then they would be safe from further impacts of inattentive husbandry. Like not be a hazard to other managed bees and entirely free to die out without 'help' in doing so.
And here we go again.
The airing of views is fine, if you have an open mind.
It is entirely possible for someone to understand completely your "regression effects" and still feel they were in the bees' interest.
If there are no impacts of inattentive husbandry then the bees are perfectly safe.
But remember, we're taking swarming not treating.
I was responding because this had turned into a discussion about swarming being irresponsible due to the impact on humans.
The feral bees in AU are clearly surviving perfectly well on their own or they wouldn't need protection from the managed colonies and my goodness, they must also be surviving the "regression effects" of reproduction.

Latest posts

Back