Three hives now... problems, what to do?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had similar issues with a Large hive earlier this year. Shrinking brood, falling bees, no get up and go.
Moved them into a nuc, vaped 4 x5 days, sprayed them with sugar syrup to Hivemaker's recipe.

Recovered , now on 10 frames.

(I had no idea of the cause, those were the only things I could think of doing.)

I had similar issues with a Large hive earlier this year. Shrinking brood, falling bees, no get up and go.
Moved them into a nuc, vaped 4 x5 days, sprayed them with sugar syrup to Hivemaker's recipe.

(I had no idea of the cause, those were the only things I could think of doing.)
Well we know they have varroa and maybe nosema so Mike’s suggestion might be their saving.
Rest of the frames? I’d start again with fresh and burn them.

Moved them into a nuc, vaped 4 x5 days, sprayed them with sugar syrup to Hivemaker's recipe..

Glad to hear that. Thanks for that suggestion, can you give URL or topic name to find Hivemaker's recipe? (I'm not sure what it addresses either yet, is it a thymol syrup?)
I assume you had plenty of verroa present, unlike the symptoms here where they seem absent.
I think I'd need 2 or 3 nucs for this lot, and a bit worried I'd just be contaminating more frames and kit but I guess the boxes are able to be treated and reused even if frames go to the fire.

I must get confirmation if N.c is present, quick!

Thanks, appreciated. There is not a lot of information within that thread about applicability. A treatment for both forms of Nosema or specific to N.ceranae ? or both? Anyway I'm getting ingredients!
Both. I’ve resurrected a brought in nuc by spraying the bees every four days x 3

Bit of a final report on this as far as N.ceranae - 2 slides examined at 400x by 3 people found no signs of N.c
Bees still dying at a high rate from the last hive with more than a few bees.
It's been suggested there are new viruses (virii?) around but I'm not sure how I should progress with that, seems better to make a new post maybe (after one more try with SBI/NBU)...

Latest posts

Back