Thoughts about the new suit from STBK

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powerbee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
As a complete beginner, has anyone of experience got any advice on the pluses and minuses of the following 'professional' suit from Simonthebeekeeper.

https://www.simonthebeekeeper.co.uk...-wear-professional-khaki-suit.html#/46-size-l

To my uneducated eye it seems good value as has YKK zips, velcro AND elastic cuffs plus a 2 year guarantee.

Am I missing something or is it good value @£50? I have a limited budget so cannot afford a Sherriff or BBsuit. Advice would be very much appreciated.

I've got two small suits for the children they were 20 pounds each .
The vail seems to be quite strong ..I've noticed that the elastic that you put your thumb into has come of on the left cuff .
If I was buying again I would probably spend a bit more money on a suit .. you get what you pay for i suppose.
If you can stretch your funds I would get a better suit .. as it's hopefully going to last you for years not just a season or two.

I can't comment on the new STBK suit, but I can comment on their basic Buzz Wear white suit with a round veil.
I bought this last year, for under £30, when I started beekeeping. So far it's still going strong. The veil is still intact and isn't showing any signs of wear yet, and I've had no problems with any of the zips. It has more pockets than I can use, elasticated cuffs, and thumb loops. Gets filthy but comes up great with a machine wash with a bit of added washing soda.
So far, I haven't had a single sting (touch wood!), although I appreciate that's probably more to do with my bees!
I completely understand why everyone urges you to spend as much as you can on a suit that will last you for years, but from the beginner's point of view I also appreciate how quickly all of the initial costs of this hobby build up, and a reluctance to spend three figures on a bee suit, when who knows if you'll still be beekeeping in 12 months time.
Personally, I would say that if you can't afford more, then this is a sensible option to see you through your first couple of years. After that you can spend some of that money you'll have raised selling honey to buy yourself a posh suit. You'll be confident by that point that you intend to continue beekeeping and you'll also have a better idea of what features in a suit are most important to you.

Thank you both so much for the replies, some very sound advice, much appreciated.

That would be handy IMO, first thing that gets the scissors treatment with me - they're a PITA :D
True, but as they keep your sleeves down especially for the children I'll leave them on.

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

Buzzwear suit

I can also vouch for the White Basic Buzzwear suit - but did also buy a brown suit from STBK a couple of years back which was much thinner fabric and had to be returned as the stings got through .Good customer service though when I pointed that out, so may have been sorted .

Someone will correct me if I am wrong - their stinger is around 3mm long so you need quite a thick garment, or a baggy one or an impenetrable fabric not to receive the occasional sting. That said I have used the basic white suit as well, the only weak point is/was the veil which simply split in various places during its first season - thats the price you pay for plastic I guess. I have never yet had a straight answer from a manufacturer yet when I enquire about the veils , I am tempted to go and find a wire one like I had many moons ago.

I was checking out the veil material - they do say on the site that the Buzz Work Wear ones are plastic - and that's the first time I've seen anyone tell you that - but there's no info on the professional suit veil - a 2yr guarantee tho'!

Yes I tried to find more info on the veil (the in fact supply 2 veils with each suit) this is from their website :-
All our Professional suits come with 2 x clear-weave mesh veils and a 2 year guarantee*

Think I'll take the plunge, seems good value for £50

Latest posts

Back