The Royal wings

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

viridens

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
warre
Number of Hives
4. Experimenting with Warres after 30 years of Nationals
Here is a pic of Q in one of my hives. She's buxom and laying well in a thriving colony and I have never touched her.
Folks here tell me that laying queens can fly. Look at those wings compared to workers. I don't recon she is airworthy or going far, maybe a flop in the grass. What do you think?

DSC05106s.jpg

Last edited:
I blew up the picture a bit, I think the fact she has a large abdomen makes them look small

I thought they slimmed before they flew

. . . Folks here tell me that laying queens can fly. Look at those wings compared to workers. I don't recon she is airworthy or going far . . What do you think?

Whyever not?

Some will tell you, "Bumbles can't fly" :svengo:

But they do well enough!

It looks like you have got a Cardovan queen there and they are larger by design. I had a big one like that from a swarm and I can testify that she flew very well waving goodbye!

I had an over wintered queen from last year split due to trying to swarm, who went into a new box and filled 3 frames rapidly. She flew at the first inspection and I didn't see her go it was that fast. Crawled over my hand off frame and flew. Week later she was back in the box and another frame full of brood had been added.
If not clipped, laying queens can fly fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Had a laying Q fly on me during an inspection this spring (but she was nowhere near that size!). She didn't return unfortunately...

Latest posts

Back