The bees, the bee's knees, the bees' hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SixFooter

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just an idea, but why not add a 5 minute section to the course in a case on the correct use of apostrophes. It should be stressed to all new beekeepers that it is important to get this right!

the bees' hive... No
The bees' hives.... more than one bee in more than one hive......
Do wot the yanks doose and scrap grammer altogevver !

"Bees' hive" and "bees' hives" are both correct.

Bees is the plural noun, the apostrophe after the word indicates possession - i.e. it is their hive.

"Bee's hive" could also be correct, but only if you're referring to a single bee and the hive it lives in.

More info here http://slb-ltsu.hull.ac.uk/awe/index.php?title=Apostrophe_(possession) and http://www.apostrophethief.co.uk/when-use-apostrophe.php

Another example, from the latter page,
When using an apostrophe to show that something belongs to someone (or something), you need to be aware of the plural possessive rule. This simply means that if there are two or more of something, the apostrophe goes after the 's'.

So, taking one of the examples above (and leaving aside the question of whether bees actually have knees):
  • The lone bee's knees becomes the three bees' knees

Simple!

I'm thinking of starting a society for the Extended Freedom of the Apostrophe - so that people can use 'em as liberally as they like.

Who says what's right and what's not ?
Who appointed them the Apostrophe police ?

Take (multiple) GPS's for example - an apostrophe separates the abbreviation from the plurality. I like it - makes for clarity.

Buqqer other people's 'rules'.

/rant

LJ

There's an apostrophe in my surname.
Nothing at all to do with plurals.

Blame texting and poor English taught at schools, I’m no bright spark but It does make easier to read.

"Bees' hive" and "bees' hives" are both correct.

Bees is the plural noun, the apostrophe after the word indicates possession - i.e. it is their hive.

"Bee's hive" could also be correct, but only if you're referring to a single bee and the hive it lives in.

More info here http://slb-ltsu.hull.ac.uk/awe/index.php?title=Apostrophe_(possession) and http://www.apostrophethief.co.uk/when-use-apostrophe.php

Another example, from the latter page,

Simple!

Maybe a 10 minute section on the course

I'm thinking of starting a society for the Extended Freedom of the Apostrophe - so that people can use 'em as liberally as they like.

Who says what's right and what's not ?
Who appointed them the Apostrophe police ?

Take (multiple) GPS's for example - an apostrophe separates the abbreviation from the plurality. I like it - makes for clarity.

Buqqer other people's 'rules'.

/rant

LJ

I was told off at work today for putting a spoon in the wrong place in the cutlery drainer. I took the p155 and possibly used the phrase "sink police". I guess different people get bugged by different things other people do.

I was told off at work today for putting a spoon in the wrong place in the cutlery drainer. I took the p155 and possibly used the phrase "sink police". I guess different people get bugged by different things other people do.

My pet hate is 'like' which seems to be used before every sentence and thrown randomly into the middle at will.....like
S

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was told off at work today for putting a spoon in the wrong place in the cutlery drainer. I took the p155 and possibly used the phrase "get a life you sad little f***". I guess different people get bugged by different things other people do.

I feel your pain!

My pet hate is 'like' which seems to be used before every sentence and thrown randomly into the middle at will.....like
yeh. you know, whatever

A place for everything and everything in its place makes the word easier to understand and world quicker to work in. I hope you can find the spoon at the next coffee break.:icon_204-2:

Latest posts

Back