Taking in pollen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Busy Bee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Hi All

I had a look at my bees yesterday and they were taking in pollen, South Down, Eire...

Busy Bee:party:

Crocus and viburnum here yesterday...Our crocus are barely out so must be further down the hill where it is more sheltered..

Dark native types rocketing about all over the place.

Buckfast strains acting like they've got a hangover and can't be bothered getting out of bed.

10c here.

My bees were quite active outside the hive to-day - fair made my heart swell with pride. (My first colony through the winter) But couldn't see that any were taking in pollen so jealous of all those who have seen that. Interested that some of you can detect differences according to the strain of bee - and presumably location is also relevant. However, Cheshire is some way north of me. What are the most significant factors in when the bees start up - ie if the weather is marginal temperature wise? Am I safe to remove my woodpecker protection as it gets in the way of the bees when there are lots of them.
Tricia

2 wooden ply hives, both active on Wednesday when I last saw them and both bringing in orange pollen.

My bees were quite active outside the hive to-day - fair made my heart swell with pride. (My first colony through the winter) But couldn't see that any were taking in pollen so jealous of all those who have seen that. Interested that some of you can detect differences according to the strain of bee - and presumably location is also relevant. However, Cheshire is some way north of me. What are the most significant factors in when the bees start up - ie if the weather is marginal temperature wise? Am I safe to remove my woodpecker protection as it gets in the way of the bees when there are lots of them.
Tricia

I wouldn't remove it yet - there's still plenty of time for the ground to freeze again. Do you have problems with woodpeckers or was that just a precaution? I have got a pair of green soldier in the garden but touch wood they haven't found my hive yet.......

Bloody predictive text - they're not green soldiers at all!!!

FTB - what gauge mesh do you have round your hives?? bees may find it a little annoying but shouldn't hamper them significantly.

Lovely yellow pollen in South Devon. It's just lovely seeing them out enjoying the sun.:seeya:

What type of pollen are they likely to be collecting...

Busy Bee

Nellitap, Just the position of a hive can influence when the bees fly. Those of mine that catch the direct sunlight are apt to be active, while those that are in deeper shadow stay at home and just bung out the dead until the temperature rises another degree or so.

They were mostly out on Friday, but today not as much activity today as it was brighter early and then when the sun was about to illuminate the apiary directly it became slightly overcast, so the bees mostly stayed at home.

Cold spell coming next week, hopefully when that passes we might be that little nearer to seeing the spring. Buds are all beefing up ready to burst. I hope the cold spell passes first though.

Latest posts

Back