Swarms :)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Woods

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Having completed a 120 mile round trip to pick up a swarm from Tonybloke - just sat down - phone rings - lady in next village had a swarm in her front hedge - so gone from 1 coolny to 4 this week :)

Running out of spare hive parts now - credit card will be crying next week :)

It's funny when your first starting up beekeeping getting your hands on some bees seems the hardest thing in the world
Then you finally get some and it's like buses two or three come along all at the same time
your problem now will be keeping it to four

Yep next year the four will become eight,and that is without Swarms.
Believe me I started this year with seven that I safely brought through the winter,did some artificial swarms,collected Swarms had calls sometimes six in one day to collect swarms am now up at nineteen,would have been twenty only one lot I collected twice disappeared for a third time and I had lost patience by then.:iagree:

Yep next year the four will become eight,and that is without Swarms

Ha, I have gone from two to eight maybe nine or ten this year depending if my nucs make it; my target is to keep at ten for a couple of years and go from there.

The bloke at Weald Place Farm went from 1 colony to about 2000 in 18 months. And then he woke up. ;)

It is quite true it's hard to stop healthy bees multiplying. The only trouble is they don't seem to want to do it in convenient ways.

I've alway had only 2-3 hives and decided that i would expand a bit this year and am at 15 so far after 4 AS's and all the rest local swarms and also very nearly out of equipment.

Got home today and my captured swarm had swarmed :(

You win some and you lose some :)

Latest posts

Back