Swarms - how far before pitching?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sutty

From Glossop, North Derbyshire, UK
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 to 12!
I've witnessed a few swarms issue from my hives over the years. They have always pitched/bivouacked 20 to 50m from the hive.
However there are multiple reports on here of swarms arriving from unknown distant locations (and pitching not occupying a new home).
Does anyone have experience or know of research how far they will go before pitching?

I've witnessed a few swarms issue from my hives over the years. They have always pitched/bivouacked 20 to 50m from the hive.
However there are multiple reports on here of swarms arriving from unknown distant locations (and pitching not occupying a new home).
Does anyone have experience or know of research how far they will go before pitching?
Numerous reports……..well obviously every swarm in your neighbours garden has come from miles away😂

I once spotted a huge swarm hanging in a tree in the apiary. Bugger!
I went through all 10 (at the time) hives and it wasn’t mine.

Did it become yours?🐝

One of my clients said they saw a swarm going over the house so I checked both their hives and saw no sign of swarming. 3 days later their gardener said that the bees looked like they were swarming and eventually we found a swarm in one of their mulberry trees.
I rechecked both the hives and saw no sign again.
Someone local must be losing bees!!!!!

It always amuses me. Two beekeepers stood together half way between their apiaries. They see a swarm going over and at the same time both say " well they're not mine!"

I think bees must attract bees. I'd never had a swarm in the garden before I got my own bees, then last year a swarm turned up on my shed in August (not mine and they turned out to be vicious :confused: ).

Definitely had swarms arrive in one site and then hang out on a tree that were not from my hives. I wonder if it's more common with small swarms or casts?

Pitching! I thought you said pinching. I say this because my ex mentor who lives 2 doors down, and who put out a garden full of bait hives the day I got my first colony last year put his head over my fence the other day dressed up in his bee suit and wellies as the huge swarm he had been chasing up and down the road settled into my bait hive and he said................. "You're pinching all my bees!" 🤣🤣🤣

The funniest bit is last year he said to me " if you lose a swarm then they become anybody's"
He thinks any swarm passing by belongs to him because he's been beeking for years. 🤷‍♂️

Latest posts

Back