Swarms at the moment

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Dyer

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Not counting the huge swarm from my next door neighbours hive, I had eight calls about swarms yesterday, and I suspect today may be the same.
Any similar experiences in this hot weather?

4 calls yesterday (I collected one of them, passed on the details of the others to more local ( to the swarm) beekeepers.
already had a call this morning ( bees in a chimney)

I went to check on my hives on Saturday and found a largish swarm hanging off a branch next to them.

Checked all my hives and they're all still full so it looks like a freebee from somewhere else.:)

Strange (and convenient) how they picked the tree right next to my hives. Guessing it may have some scent left on it from a previous cluster.

THIS is the year of the swarm here in S.W.Scotland.I've had more swarms this year than in the previous 10.Mostly caused by the bad weather we've been experiencing this year preventing inspections-then when the sun suddenly shines -out they go.Saved me having to do splits this year,nature has done it for me.Hives still crowded with bees tho',so may yet get a modest honey crop -- IF the weather imptoves that is!!!!

We picked one up on Saturday morning. It had very conveniently hung up on a garden table at a house a mile away. Quick tip of the table, bang the top and they were in a 14x12. Friday nights rain ensured they stayed home, now they are at the other end of the field from the existing bees, and foraging like mad. Will check after a week to see if they are queen right or now. Either a very big cast, or a small prime.

Friday we had a call to a walled garden close to where our project apiary is situated (not our bees which are new this year and still small colonies). Bait hive was positioned and they dutifully moved across and entered. I was in their line of flight so, still a novice in many things, both a little daunting and wonderfully surreal. Put a summary on you tube and in our blog but I daren't give the links as I know they are not allowed.
Tricia

Had a lot of scouts looking at an old naitonal in my back garden over the weekend, maybe more than 50, but they didn't come. Yet.

Have left a nuc open nearby and another at my apiary in case one is in need of a home while I am away. This one has no frames, but was full of bees until a couple of weeks ago. If I get a chance to knock a few up, I will, but there just ain't much time before my 0700 flight on Wednesday.

Latest posts

Back