Swarms and the 3 feet/mile rule

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pollybell

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Having collected and housed a local swarm I am wondering whether the 3 feet/ 3 mile rule applies. Will there be any problems hiving a swarm close to where it came from?

A number of the bees are looking around the site where I collected the swarm as if they are confused about their new home.

Having collected and housed a local swarm I am wondering whether the 3 feet/ 3 mile rule applies. Will there be any problems hiving a swarm close to where it came from?

A number of the bees are looking around the site where I collected the swarm as if they are confused about their new home.

No, should be fine. They'll be hovering around as it still smells like queen and the swarm. Smoking it or applying febreze should get them to move on.

(How many is 'a number'? More than a few and I think you might have taken the swarm away too early. Stragglers can get quite aggressive).

Bees at the original swarm location are probably stragglers you missed, I've seen them returning to site at 9:45 pm. Those rules don't apply to swarms.

It is only a handful of bees but they do not appear to be very happy. I dropped the swarm in a box around 5pm yesterday but didn't move them until around 9.30pm when all was quiet. I have given the area a wash down with soapy water. Hopefully the stragglers will get the message and move on.

Thanks for the responses.

Back