Swarm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris58

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2 - National
Just a question, here in central France, our neighbour, yesterday afternoon had a huge swarm settle in her garden -unfortunately they had moved off before I got there. They were apparently a complete swarm, not a small cast.
Has anyone heard of this at this time of year?
We did have a terrific storm last night and we are talking about major wind, thunder & lightening and hailstones. Could this be a reason of the swarm beforehand?

If it was a swarm, it would have been intiated well over a week previously. Bees are very good at getting organised before the actual event. Although the weather may have played a part in the actual timing of the swarm, an isolated thunderstorm is unlikely to have had much bearing on that swarm being produced.

Regards, RAB

took a cast this week. Enough to fill a mating hive well!

And I collected and hived my very first ever swarm this (last) evening ...

This is extraordinarily rare here in Central / South-western France, I've never heard of it before at this time of year BUT this has been a year extraordinaire - pas normale, I've never seen a year like it. Early June really is the last time you would expect to see a swarm of any type.

Chris

bees will try there luck like this,if its good weather they have a chance and survive and have produced another colony,if the weather is bad they die.
they take risks at this time of year sometimes it works,sometimes it does not.

The storm that evening was perhaps the worst we had ever seen in such a short space of time. The wind must have been gusting over 60/70kph. Roof tiles off, trees down - we were lucky the hive was untouched. It was a very enclosed storm though. Went through our neighbours garden, but left our untouched - almost a tornado. We hope those bees found somewhere safe!

could it bee that they had no choice and wasn`t a swarm but evacuation of storm damaged hive/home.

ZZ

Back