Swarm Traps - When to collect them?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben Smith

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
I have some swarm traps set out in a couple of locations where I know there are feral bee colonies. Now the weather has improved and the sun is shining there has been some bee activity around the boxes. Although there are bees going in and out of the boxes I don't think any colonies have moved in yet. Can anyone tell me what I should be looking for or what I am likely to see when a queen moves in with her colony? Will it be obvious (even if I miss the actual time the swarm moves in)?

Note: The boxes only contain a single frame of drawn comb (no lures or honey).

Do the boxes contain empty frames or even just top bars?

If not check every evening, very late on. It will be obvious.

No just a single frame of partially drawn comb.
Should I add empty frames/topbars?

I would maybe put at least one sheet of foundation and a couple of frames with wax at the top, (something akin to top bars) in the boxes with the greatest interest.

One way to tell they've moved in, is if bees entering are carrying pollen or if those exiting are heading off in a straight line.

Give them a knock after dark and listen. Sure way is to have a look inside.

No just a single frame of partially drawn comb.
Should I add empty frames/topbars?

The problem is, if a swarm does settle there, and you don't intervene pretty quickly, when you eventually do check, you'll find they will have drawn comb where it suits them, not where it suits you, and all off the crown board (if there is one, or off the roof if there isn't). Which is messy.

You can either sort this out by putting frames in so you encourage them to build where you want, or you check very frequently so you can intervene before they make a mess.

Myself, I'd stick some frames in there.

Sound advice. Thank you.
The traps are homemade plywood nucs designed to hold six 14x12 frames . The drawn comb frame in each is a standard size brood box frame which I borrowed from a friend. As the traps are some distance from me it would make sense to add some more frames as I am not able to check them every night.
Assuming I manage to catch a swarm, how do I manage the transfer of the frames to my hive and extract my friends drawn comb frame so that I can return it to him?

Last edited:
how do I manage the transfer of the frames to my hive and extract my friends drawn comb frame so that I can return it to him?

why not just buy some new frames/foundation, give you friend back the same amount that you borrowed, keep the rest for yourself for future use, I'm sure he wont begrudge you the bit of drawn comb

Swarms could be carrying disease - unlikely, but can be much more than a nuisance. So borrowed frames should be retained with the bees until such time that the bees have been certified as healthy.

ijcooper has it precisely, re comb building and checking.

Btdt. Just one frame, maybe two, left in a box and had a colony abscond before I could rectify the situation. A lesson learned a long time ago.

Sometimes can happen if they find a way into stored kit and set up home without 'permission' or being expected/hoped for.

Transferring? Carefully. If they are 6 frame 14x12s, they could do with a shallow box above/below to get to the preferred volume for a bait hive. Floor construction should be solid.

Last edited:
why not just buy some new frames/foundation, give you friend back the same amount that you borrowed, keep the rest for yourself for future use, I'm sure he wont begrudge you the bit of drawn comb

The frames are short lugged brood box frames for a smith hive so I have no real need for them afterwards.

Latest posts

Back