Swarm lure to move an encamped swarm?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karen's Bees

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi everyone

This is my first posting.

I'm not very experienced so please forgive me if this is a numpty question.

The site caretaker at my place of work found a nest of bees. We're not sure how long they've been there but not long (long enough for them to be bringing in pollen though so queen now laying?)

They are inside a wall on a listed building so not much chance of pulling things apart to get them out.

So before he calls out Rentakill or someone else can I lure them out to a baited hive? I could do either standard national or 14x12 with some 'used' frames and some lemongrass oil. Which size would be best do you reckon? Or is it a 'no hope' now that they're bringing pollen in (ie ordered the carpets and hung their curtains).

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers
Karen

The 'not sure how long' likely means it is to late to do much at all. Doing a 'trap out' is likely the best way of recovering most of the bees. That entails allowing them out through a one way exit (a couple porter bee escapes?) and collecting them in a box attached, or very close, to the exit point.

Is there any possibility of them being left where they are? Are they causing a nuisance or making their way into the building?

:welcome:To the forum Karen.

You may wish to look at your gender profile to avoid confusion and responses that nobody on here would intentionally direct at a lady.

P.S. There are no 'numpty' questions, some you will be told to go and read about or you will get some very 'numpty' answers, we seem to have a few on here with 'numpty answers at present. The skill is picking who to listen to and those to ignore. Don't take the style of the reply as a good indication, some on here will tell what you want to hear and others, if you've read a bit on here you will know who, tell it like it is.

Welcome to beekeeping.

Last edited:
Hi everyone

please forgive me if this is a numpty question.

So before he calls out Rentakill
Karen

why do people still think pesties will kill bees :nono:

us pest controllers that work for RENTOKIL, will not kill bees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

why do people still think pesties will kill bees :nono:

us pest controllers that work for RENTOKIL, will not kill bees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:iagree:Thanks Ratcatcher.

It may be be lost on the OP I'm afraid.

:sorry: Karen, there is history here, all good, but you may need to read back a bit.

Thanks Tim! Amendments made as suggested.

Everyone, thanks for the advice re the swarm. I figured it was probably too late.

There are a few people on the campus with known allergy to bee stings so it's easy to see why the site chap feels the need to do something. The wall is, however away from foot traffic so there might be a compromise to be made ... e.g. fencing off that area etc. He's already notified everyone by email to steer clear.

I'll offer to site a bait hive somewhere on the campus in the hope of catching another swarm before it finds the 'wrong' home. Assuming there might be more later.

Thanks.

Cheers
Karen

I often hear people say they are allergic to bee stings and in reality it possibly means that their finger swells up and it hurts...

He's already notified everyone by email to steer clear.
which means that everybody will now go and have a look..

Oops, sorry if the Rentokill remark lit a fuse. If he calls out someone I'll ask if I can watch what happens. I'm curious because the hole in the wall is very small.

Thanks for the replies.

Karen

Everyone, thanks for the advice re the swarm. I figured it was probably too late.

There are a few people on the campus with known allergy to bee stings so it's easy to see why the site chap feels the need to do something. The wall is, however away from foot traffic so there might be a compromise to be made ... e.g. fencing off that area etc. He's already notified everyone by email to steer clear.

I'll offer to site a bait hive somewhere on the campus in the hope of catching another swarm before it finds the 'wrong' home. Assuming there might be more later.

Thanks.

Cheers
Karen

why do people still think pesties will kill bees

Because some do.
Phoned one local pest control company today as fed up of calls from people with bees in their wall space, underfloor, roof annexes and other such unrecoverable places and I just want to give them the telephone no. of a firm that will do something for them (£75 +Vat call out charge), rather then me waste time and petrol going there to tell them I can't do anything unless we remove half the front wall of their house.
The company use a bee vac for recoverable ones, but poison the others.....they then sell the bees on! (the recoverable ones in case there was some doubt here....)
I said I'd take them off their hands for free based on any referral for work from me, to which they were quite obliging.

Even had the local tourist info centre on the blower today, someone had popped in and said they had seen a swarm of bees somewhere on X street would I go and investigate. Not without the whereabouts and the property owners permission I replied. They seemed most put out!

Why not contact you local branch of the BBKA.
The secretary will send around an email asking for assistance for you.

I should think the chances of
finding the queen and trapping out the colony without some level of cutting out relatively remote... but there are some very clever beekeepers out there who have endoscopes and bee vacs... and are not afraid to use them!

Alternatively let them bee!

I am highly allergic to stinging nettles... but I have yet to get my University workplace to eradicate them from the campus!

Yeghes da

Reading Karen,s Bees profile.....
It states 1 colony of bees owned but no main hive type.
Question , Where do you keep your bees ?
Not in the wall of a house ?
Sorry , but it just tickled me.
Welcome to the forum Karen.

Thanks.

Cheers
Karen

Now there are bees living there I'd suggest their presence will make further arrivals likely.
Oliver90owner has already covered a trap out and I concur. When complete the hole should be sealed properly to prevent its re use

Thanks for the replies everyone.

My own bees are in a 14x12 National. Sorry, forgot to add that to my profile.

LOL though about having 2 now (one in the wall). I am very protective of the wall colony so maybe that counts as 'ownership'

I am a member of the local association and unfortunately they didn't have a vacuum thingy.

I have been doing some online research and when I next see the site chap I'll suggest we collaborate on making some sort of trap. He's got a workshop so has the tools. Be cheaper than a third party 'pest' controller and he can keep the trap bit for the next time. Anyone tried a 'swarm harvester'? It's an expansion on the trap principle. Adding a bit of open brood to the trap to entice the queen into it too.

If we have a go at this I'll let you know if it works!

Karen

Latest posts

Back