Swarm in my garden and I am at work!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You sure it's not yours? Nucleus of mine with clipped queen swarmed. Queen lost with initial swarm, bees returned ( didn't see all this!)

Then left with a virgin queen.....
QUOTE]

The thought has crossed my mind, I clipped both wings so she should be on the floor if that is the case but leaving wiith virgin queen sounds plausable

"I clipped both wings"

we tried that with poultry - they can still fly. one clipped wing and they can't do it right.

why can't your informant catch it for you?

She thought they had moved on but have moved to a lelandii stump/hedge as we speak my good lady is triming branches and is placing a skep over the top of them it is in quite a tricky place really will have to wait till she phones again

Any news?

Well as it turns out I got home and the swarm had moved up into the skep that my wife had put over them.... to be certain I did a quick inspection on my hives to see if it was one of mine that had swarmed my fears were confirmed 2 sealed queen cells and no sign of the queen and no eggs which suggests that she had stopped laying about 5/6 days ago but most puzzling though was that the my queen in this hive had both wings clipped quite drastically and marked what I couldn't understand how the swarm was really high up...... so as it was getting dark I put a new hive in the apiary put a sheet over the ramp to the entrance and shook them onto the sheet, promptly they all started marching up to the entrance couldnt see the queen so went in for something to eat and then went to check after, all had moved into the hive and were fanning, pretty much textbook stuff, next morning the hive was empty:confused: but it looks like they all returned to the original hive from which the swarmed:confused::confused: any advice thoughts welcome

Back