Swarm collected and housed on Monday any advice?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rod Dawson

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I got a swarm in a bait hive in late June, and the have built up well but no honey. I took the super off at the end of August and started feeding them. On Monday, I found them swarming. I collected a big cluster and housed them, and started feeding them. I was going to put Apiguard on but now not sure. Any advice? I am in York.

Even at this time of year it is possible to feed them so much that the queen has no room to lay and then they will swarm. Might this be what happened?

The other thing is that if they were a swarm they are probably swarmier bees. It is not too late to buy a British mated queen from a less swarmy strain.

Rod

Have you checked you've still got the queen?

If so put a feeder on with 1:1 syrup as they are probably starving - only possible explanation for swarming at this time of year.

Rod
If so put a feeder on with 1:1 syrup as they are probably starving - only possible explanation for swarming at this time of year.

It was a June swarm - so too early for feeding imho!!!!

"I found them swarming. I collected a big cluster and housed them"

what exactly do you mean by that? actually in the process of flying off OR in a beard on the front of the hive? have you treated with apiguard or similar?

I think there could be a good chance that both hives will die through the winter.

The original hive should have Q cell(s). What chance do you think of the new Q getting properly mated and producing sufficient young bees to survive the winter ?

In the swarm colony, most of the workers in the swarm will not survive through winter. It is chancy that the swarm Q will produce enough new bees for the colony to survive.

Of course, other members will probably disagree with me.

I got a swarm in a bait hive in late June, and the have built up well but no honey. I took the super off at the end of August and started feeding them. On Monday, I found them swarming. I collected a big cluster and housed them, and started feeding them. I was going to put Apiguard on but now not sure. Any advice? I am in York.

Being still new myself take my observations with care but here goes.
I hope you got the queen. Chances are you did or they would probably have not stayed put?
Starting feeding on Monday (9th September for the new swarm? ) will give them material to draw comb in the swarms new home but it will be a struggle to get them ready for winter. Uniting may be required.
As to why they swarmed, was the original brood full when you took the honey super off and started feeding in August? Possibly the bees stuffed all available space with syrup, leaving no laying space and triggering swarming urge.
Advice - ask one of your experienced beeks in York BKA for further guidance. I know there are at least 3 good ones from personal contact.
With regard to varroa treatment I would wait a bit to get the winter bees laid then treat, possibly with MAQS.
Just my take on things

Did they actually swarm to a tree or bush or did you collect your cluster from off the hive?

Find the original queen whether she's gone with the swarm or still in the hive. Keep her and re-unite. Then feed. They'll get over it.

:iagree:
Find the original queen whether she's gone with the swarm or still in the hive. Keep her and re-unite. Then feed. They'll get over it.
P.S. Remember to use paper method they are two different colonies now!

Latest posts

Back