Swarm after inspection or just a coincidence?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeeBelle

New Bee
Reaction score
Had a few cases recently where I have inspected the hive, and then the day after they have swarmed. Some I knew I needed to do splits with to prevent but haven’t got anywhere to put them, but I just wondered if there might be a pattern of swarming after I have inspected the hive if I have disrupted them or let all the heat in in this warm weather or if it’s just a coincidence? Anyone else found this?

I have inspected the hive
Did you look for QCs, and did you find any?

the day after they have swarmed
Yes, if sealed QCs were in the hive, which you would have seen the day before.

haven’t got anywhere to put them
Split vertically: BB with 10f foundation on the floor; add 1f of brood inc. queen, then supers, split board, rest of brood+1f foundation (entrance facing differently), then supers. Knock down QCs in this BB to one, repeat 7 days later, leave for 3 weeks and then look for eggs.

https://theapiarist.org/split-boards/

Had a few cases recently where I have inspected the hive, and then the day after they have swarmed. Some I knew I needed to do splits with to prevent but haven’t got anywhere to put them, but I just wondered if there might be a pattern of swarming after I have inspected the hive if I have disrupted them or let all the heat in in this warm weather or if it’s just a coincidence? Anyone else found this?

Never heard

Some I knew I needed to do splits with to prevent but haven’t got anywhere to put them
that seems to be the answer - you knew they were on the point of swarming but you didn't take any preventative action

No coincedence if you checked the colonies and sealed QC's were seen, as has been said they were primed to go (pun not intended). With poor weather as little as two weeks ago , three of mine have made swarm preps. My Q's are clipped so they won't go far may be 8 - 10 ft , two delayed swarming until the first nice day we had last week and by then new emerging queens were only a couple of days away.

You missed a QC. Just like I did this weekend. 🙁

Latest posts

Back