Sunken brood cappings - overheated?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Parsonage bees, sorry for hijacking this thread a little with this post, but your issue has raised a couple of questions from me.

I see many people suggesting that varroa treatment is what is needed here.

In a situation like this, my worry would be the brood rotting in the cells leading to the possibility of further health issues / diseases.

Am I over thinking? Or would a change of any frames with dead brood in be the safest option?

If so what would you do with those frames? Freeze them to kill any pathogens? Or cut out wax and sterilise in boiling water?
No, not hijacking.
Colony just not strong enough to sort out this brood. If they expand they'll get around to it, is my guess. You're thinking of this being like having an infected wound? It's not going to do them any good. ?
Hobbyists try to save this sort of situation whereas anyone even half commercial would shake them out and melt the frames in solar wax melter (this does look like one of my older frames).
I'm even considering, could I boost them with a frame of emerging brood. Just looked through a very strong colony. Probably a waste.
. . . . Ben

Brood that bees have uncapped might not be dead. I am sure I have read that theymight uncap varroa infested, remove mites and then recap.
I would just leave it for the bees to clear out, unless of course it was foul brood

No, not hijacking.
Colony just not strong enough to sort out this brood. If they expand they'll get around to it, is my guess. You're thinking of this being like having an infected wound? It's not going to do them any good. ?
Hobbyists try to save this sort of situation whereas anyone even half commercial would shake them out and melt the frames in solar wax melter (this does look like one of my older frames).
I'm even considering, could I boost them with a frame of emerging brood. Just looked through a very strong colony. Probably a waste.
. . . . Ben
I would change the queen and treat for varroa if you're going going to boost them with a frame of emerging brood, bit of a waste otherwise imho

Latest posts

Back