Summer Shows

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I received notification yesterday of the Festival of Bees that will be held around the country this July.
Suffering from lack of stimulation, normally provided by the BeeTradex and a trip to Harper Adams I looked at the list of of exhibitors for the show at the Bath and West showground and was disappointed. I did not see any of the major suppliers listed as taking part. Where are the Thornes, Maisemore, National bee Supplies, Simon the Beekeeper? As these are being run by Bee Equipment Ltd this started me wondering:-
a) have they not been invited?
b) are they boycotting these events?
c) is it too early for companies to plan with Covid still a potential issue?
d) will the big foriegn companies come in when restrictions are eased?
d) are the organisers being considered'persona non grata' by the beekeeing community because of theur actions regarding the import of package bees?
Talking to a supplier a few months ago when this was first announced they said they probably would not attend due to the quoted cost of a stand.
Does anyone have any thoughts or inside knowledge about these meetings? I am curious to know

I received notification yesterday of the Festival of Bees that will be held around the country this July.
Suffering from lack of stimulation, normally provided by the BeeTradex and a trip to Harper Adams I looked at the list of of exhibitors for the show at the Bath and West showground and was disappointed. I did not see any of the major suppliers listed as taking part. Where are the Thornes, Maisemore, National bee Supplies, Simon the Beekeeper? As these are being run by Bee Equipment Ltd this started me wondering:-
a) have they not been invited?
b) are they boycotting these events?
c) is it too early for companies to plan with Covid still a potential issue?
d) will the big foriegn companies come in when restrictions are eased?
d) are the organisers being considered'persona non grata' by the beekeeing community because of theur actions regarding the import of package bees?
Talking to a supplier a few months ago when this was first announced they said they probably would not attend due to the quoted cost of a stand.
Does anyone have any thoughts or inside knowledge about these meetings? I am curious to know
I think it's just a case of this breaking a routine they've had for years and hope to continue in future - summer jamborees is just going to add a load of expense/logistics/time when suppliers are happy enough covering the same conventions they've had for years, now they're looking at another three in a short period with still a strong possibility of cancellation. Thornes Maisies and the others stepped up to the mark over the last 12 months and delivered a superb service but by mail order not face to face. Summer sales are likely to be just dribs and draps and the occasional top up of dwindling stocks.
My betting is that Patrick is hoping to make this an annual event/events but in the long term,the chance of making a good return over the summer season with people busy with their bees or holidays or whatever is pretty slim.

Latest posts

Back