Sugar Water

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Otleybee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just finished reading Lansgtroths book and he mentions spraying the bees with sugar water before manipulations. His view was that it is much better than smoke.

Do people still do this and is it better than smoke? I have not seen it mentioned in the modern books I have read.

Don't know about sugar water but I do use a water spray to calm the bees during inspections, mind you mine are quite calm anyway. Whatever you use always have a lit smoker to hand in case it all goes pear-shaped.

With smoke you are working with the bees natural instinct to fear fire and a small puff at the entrance will affect the majority of the colony and start to eat stores.

I think it is best to try different systems and see what works for you best

Just finished reading Lansgtroths book and he mentions spraying the bees with sugar water before manipulations. His view was that it is much better than smoke.

Do people still do this and is it better than smoke? I have not seen it mentioned in the modern books I have read.

Everybody has a different opinion and this is just another instance. Take your pick of the variations and do what you think is best.

Latest posts

Back