Sugar Roll

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BugsInABox

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
TBH
Number of Hives
Last year I did an alcohol wash hich had the advantage of allowing the bees to be counted - but got no varroa at all (mid summer they were a newly installed OA vaed package of bees in March). I may not have done it correctly but I didn't treat and they got through the winter and built up nicely in the spring. Probably beginners luck.
This year have done a sugar roll - all the resources I can find seem to be American and talk about a cup (or half cup of bees) - variously described as 200 or 300 bees and it's often not clear if this is per cup or half cup.
I found 5 varroa. I'm Welsh not American, so would value, unless it's just impossible, guesses on how many bees this is:
IMG_3693-compressed.JPGIMG_3696-compressed.JPGIMG_3695-compressed.JPG

Last edited:
Last year I did an alcohol wash hich had the advantage of allowing the bees to be counted - but got no varroa at all (mid summer they were a newly installed OA vaed package of bees in March). I may not have done it correctly but I didn't treat and they got through the winter and built up nicely in the spring. Probably beginners luck.
This year have done a sugar role - all the resources I can find seem to be American and talk about a cup (or half cup of bees) - variously described as 200 or 300 bees and it's often not clear if this is per cup or half cup.
I found 5 varroa. I'm Welsh not American, so would value, unless it's just impossible, guesses on how many bees this is:
View attachment 21869View attachment 21870View attachment 21871

Borrow my abacus? The chinese know how to do everything these days they say.

Personally I wouldn't get too worried about the exact count. I don't find the precise number matters. It's just whether it's a higher or lower number than you usually find for the same volume of bees you're checking.
For instance I rarely count the varroa on the inspection tray after I OA vape, I just look to see if there are 'loads', 'quite a few', 'not too many' or 'none!'. I don't need to know the exact number I only need to get an idea of whether i need to treat (although so far I always have anyway) and then if my treatments are working.

Ah but Drdr I've done the sugar role now and don't have the experience yet to know what is a higher or lower number. Thanks Dani - of course - turns out I had 200mls, which again going back to the internet is just shy of 600 bees and 5 varroa.
So 0.8% phoretic infection level - should I double this as there was brood present. I'd like not to treat but is it risky at this level?

Back