Sudden (brief?) change of temper after a/s

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sutty

From Glossop, North Derbyshire, UK
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 to 12!
Yesterday I prepped a hive for an a/s when I couldn't find the queen but thought she was still there by shaking the bees into a brood box of frames, putting a QE over it, the brood on top of that, and allowing the nurse bees to migrate up overnight.
First thing this morning I moved the queenless brood boxes to one side with their remaining one QC.
Having been settled for a few days I've had bees buzzing and stinging me from about 15m away today, though this evening they seem to have settled again.
I've not seen quite such an acute change before, has anyone else?
Edit: for clarity I've had a few troublesome guard bees over a few weeks while several hives were requeening, but that seemed to have settled.

Last edited:
Yesterday then - Having been settled for a few days I've had bees buzzing and stinging

^^ Don't follow you, anyway - when they are busy it's best you leave them alone or face the rage 👍

Simply that the queen was not there and you also broke the status quo of the hive by introducing a breeding frame and separating nurses from foragers. I would say that you yourself precipitated and exacerbated the problem.

Latest posts

Back