Stored frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gaz1

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Got a frame of stores in the freezer that I want to give to my nuc. What's the prep for this? Do I need to bruise the capped stores? How long to people leave them to thaw

Salaam fellow beekeepers

Side question here :

If you have wax moth in the frame and you keep the frame overnight in the freezer, will it kill the worm ?

Salaam fellow beekeepers

Side question here :

If you have wax moth in the frame and you keep the frame overnight in the freezer, will it kill the worm ?

I have never had a wax moth problem in my hives as i use the biological control product B401 also sold as CERTAN . However I'm told that three days or longer in a freezer is the usual way to ensure a kill.

Salaam Yayha

Thanks for the answer.
I have no waxmoths either but its good to know.
Its a pure organic way I guess.
Will also kill the brood unfortunately

Does tend to crack the foundation between the cells where it contracts. No long term harm but I am finding the bees then don't like the cells with the cracked foundation, but then again they like wax moth eaten cells even less so......
E

I have never had a wax moth problem in my hives as i use the biological control product B401 also sold as CERTAN .

I use Certan which helps control the larvae but I still get loads of adult moths and some larvae around my stored kit - probably because it's in the dark. I was wondering about leaving a low-wattage LED lamp or LED tape on 24/7 as apparently they don't like light.

Anyone done this? What wattage would be needed to be effective?

A 5 watt LED would cost under £20 a year in electricity.

Salaam Yayha

Thanks for the answer.
I have no waxmoths either but its good to know.
Its a pure organic way I guess.
Will also kill the brood unfortunately

The waste of brood would be a bigger sin than having a couple of wax moths! Strong colonies keep them in check naturally so that's a more sensible solution imo

Back