Sterilising jars

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hard water area ... leaves a deposit if you just leave water in a glass overnight !
Which is why I run my jars through the dishwasher rather than rinsing them and drying in the oven.

I recall being told that hard water is good for children, because the tiny amount of added calcium in the diet makes teeth stronger, and it may slow osteoporosis as long as diet and vitD levels are good.

What's that about used to? I know some have gone (Wards was wonderful when I lived in Sheffield as a Student).

But Keighley still produces arguably the best bitter in the world; Landlord

Wards is now a block of posh flats, Stones was bought by Bass who moved the brewing from the Cannon Brewery in Sheffield to Walsall and Burton on Trent in 1995 and destroyed the flavour ~ it now belongs to Coors who reduced the ABV and it's nothing like it used to be, although it is now brewed in Tadcaster so at least it's back in Yorkshire.

As far as I know there are no major breweries left in Sheffield although there are a few micro breweries (Kelham Island, Abbeydale and Bradfield) - the latter is not strictly in Sheffield as it is in Bradfield) if they are still going.

I always liked Tennants Best which was also brewed in Sheffield at the Exchange Brewery ... that was swallowed up by Whitbread in the late 1970's I think and the brewery closed.

When you consider that at one point Stones Bitter had about 14% of the cask beer market you do wonder what has happened .. and now the biggest share of the British beer trade is owned by an American corporation ...

Which is why I run my jars through the dishwasher rather than rinsing them and drying in the oven.

I recall being told that hard water is good for children, because the tiny amount of added calcium in the diet makes teeth stronger, and it may slow osteoporosis as long as diet and vitD levels are good.

Yes .. I usually sterilise jam jars (not honey jars) in the oven after washing and draining them but I find that there is often a small amount of dry limescale in the bottom of the jars when they come out of the oven ... I just tip it out. I like the jam jars nice and hot when I fill them.

Honey jars will be done in the dishwasher.

:sorry:

Please stop!! I was just being mischievous - I should have known better.... I think JBG gave the right answer!

You started it ... now look what's happened ... we'll be arguing over 2 ions for weeks now... :calmdown:

Yes, I know, I am going to make myself sit in the naughty corner now. Please let me know when I come out to play again. :seeya:

Latest posts

Back