Sorting nucs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Spinnaker

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
1 + 1 nuc
My bees swarmed on 22nd May. I split the remaining bees, half in nuc 1 and the rest remained in the hive, each with a QC. Both hatched on 28th May. On 6th June a large cast left the main hive, but we retrieved it and put it into nuc 2.

I now have 3 frames of eggs and larvae in nuc 2, but nothing in nuc 1 or the hive. I really don't want to lose the laying queen - will she go if she gets overcrowded in nuc 2, it's filling up fast - should I be preparing to unite nuc 2, or carry on waiting - I know mating/laying can be a long job, especially in this weather.

Thanks for advice!

By nuc....do you mean a nuc box....if so then put them in a proper size brood box. Add QE and super....bit unsure why you are talking about nucs!??
E

if your intention is to reunite eventually you need to know what queen you are going to keep so if she's found in the main hive you need to know what she's like so give it another week, if you can't find the queen in the main hive a test frame will confirm this before you reunite. how many frames do you have in nuc 2

Fairly simple. Remove brood frames from your 'laying queen' nuc box and swap with empty frames from the others, or even add foundation to keep them busy?

Remove capped brood first.

Thank you all. I put a frame of brood - mostly capped into the main hive, and they have made an emergency cell, so I am assuming I can now safely combine nuc box 2 into the main hive and destroy the QC?

Latest posts

Back