So what did you do in the spare room at 3am?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Oh well it's done for another year.

Ignored Gills advice to do THE sale at a more reasonable hour

set alarm for 2am and got in position. Small coffee and large single malt to hand. Switch PC on and smother that annoying jingle thing with a pillow. don't want to attract unwanted attention from next door ?

Had heart attack when I realised my shopping list on excel spreadsheet had miscalculated totals. Corrected the range selection to include costs for Frames and new Brood boxes and PC nealy blew up! Oh well. more Glenmorangie gives a certain on s'en fout (check it out)

3am and we're off .......

10 minutes in and my shop-spoiled smoker has disappeared from my basket ? Huh? Surely that's shoplifting?

The rest of the shop was uneventful but thank god for the spreadsheet or I would have been in a right mess. One hour later and nearly at the end. Poly Nucs and Queen Rearing nucs that had been there at 2 am had all gone.

Consoled myself with a non-sale expensive Dadent smoker - only that was out of stock.

Took the sensible decision to have it all delivered to work so Mrs Bloggs takes a little longer to sniff it all out. paying by Paypal with Slush fund banking gives me time to work out an escape route. I fancy France?

04.29 Back to Bed.

I got scared off by the constant use of the word seconds or second quality, or may contain live knots!!

I did the same as wanted some (5) ashforth feeders, from the "very limited stock section" . First thing to go into basket. Add a few more items and 10 mins later go to checkout and they had disappeared from my basket and the site. Obviously pipped at the post.
Get back in there Chriszog - in the past have bought many boxes and frames - all seconds, all boxes have been fit for purpose, one needed a bit of filler, and probably chucked one frame in fifty

Last edited:
Order placed from the comfort of my bed with a nice brew courtesey of OH
I didnt even need to get up to get my credit card as i paid on paypal
Correx travel boxes missing
Some links dont seem to work too well but not too big a problem
I am glad they are removing items as they are sold rather than just putting out of stock when you click on them
Need another coffee now to see what i have missed

Yes, my delay in getting to the checkout was due to hunting for one correx travel box, which I could not find either. Pretty miffed as I lost my real bargains for the sake of £3.
I agree it is good that stuff is taken down off the site when all stock has gone, but I thought I had secured the purchase once it was in my basket.

Last edited:
The ashforth feeders went quick as did assembled supers.....but I got an extractor at half price !!

Got the 9 frame extractor, which was the main item I was after, and then some (another couple of hundred) frames and some 30lb buckets. Then added the comb cutter with the broken handle as a frivolous buy.

lesson learned.

On the paul daniels disappearing basket thing, it makes sense now :mad: to treat the " very limited stock" item as a seperate purchase. Get that done and paid for so it is yours. Then go back at a more leisurely pace and do the other stuff.

On the subject of VFM of txxxxes sales items, you could spend the remainder of the weekend checking out posts on this forum on that subject. Personally i have used it to stock up for 15 years and not been disappointed. Nothing more infuriating than running out mid season and having to pay postage.

I also take the opportunity to duplicate tools and store them at apiaries. Hence the smoker i thought i had

Still.. not bitter eh??? Whoever you are?:laughing-smiley-014

Happy new year

FB

I didn't bother with the crack of sparrows kneecaps - I started about 9.00am - site very slow so I suspect a lot of others did as well. Bought some frames and a few odds and sods but I didn't think it was as good a sale as it has been in past years - quite a lot of stuff that really doesn't really sell that well but a few cherries amongst it.

I bought three misshaped stainless steel queen excluders for a fiver each - I'm making a dehydrator for drying herbs, apples, bananas and for making beef jerky - they will be ideal drying racks and a perfect size at 17" square (the fact that they are not quite square doesn't matter). Cheap as chips and a lot better than plastic.

Started my order at 4.00 but it was just after 5 when it went in. So sorry some of you lost bargains. As far as I am aware I got all mine since nothing disappeared before the final click. Can't wait to see the deliveryman struggling down the path now. At least one order should be here soon because the stuff I wanted which was not in the sale went into a separate order beforehand.

Ha ha after posting the sale items on here I forgot all about it. I need some frames. That's all. Better go and look. Mind you they will be the same price convention pre-ordered I guess?

I got scared off by the constant use of the word seconds or second quality, or may contain live knots!!

You shouldn't, nothing wrong with that stuff - all my boxes are second quality (either T's or Maisies) and of the lot, I have had to glue in a large knot in one box and fill in another small knot hole (smaller diameter than a pencil) wherre the actual knot was missing. Of all the frames I've bought (rather a lot actually) I've rejected two top bars and maybe half a dozen bottom bars. No brainer really with the massive savings you make.

I've done my order this afternoon. Most of it is my Christmas present off my husband. OK, some of it is my Christmas present. OK, a little bit of it is my Christmas present. :-D
My computer crashed as we got to the end but luckily the thorne site remembered my basket.

Ha ha ...he he ...ho ho....my order is in and accepted. Lots of bee goodies coming my way. Frames, foundation...(not in the sale), plastic feeders, some plastic queen excluders, Langstroth brood box and super...for a little project I have in mind and a few other bits and pieces.
I didn't even have to leave my sofa...or drive anywhere ....or wait ages to get through on the phone....marvellous this internet!

I slept! Having reduced colonies I'm in need of nothing - first time since I started, feels lovely. Sadly saved pennies going on stuff for impending baby

I bought nothing as waiting for Beetradex.

Latest posts

Back