Snow

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We hardly get any snow in Essex but this week we've had a small taste of what the rest of the country has had for weeks.
Took a few bees by surprise as I found them as little frozen statues on the front of the hive. Presumably tempted out by the hour or two of brilliant sunshine but couldn't make the final couple of inches home 🙁

Watch out. The moderators do not permit anyone to think that healthy bees could be tempted out of their hives by sunshine, not realising how cold it is, and then die due to the cold and snow. Please adjust your thinking and accept the truth o_O ;)

No snow at all here either, bright sunshine and no rain for the last few days ~ however max daytime temp around 2 degrees with a bitingly cold easterly (ESE) wind gusting to 30mph.

I have been breeding intelligent bees :devilish: .They don't go out in snow.(Mainly because it's -1C in the day and -6C at night)
There is always a sprinkling of dead ones on the landing board /ground in winter so I ignore it)

My hives get the rising sun on them, one at a time. Those with the sunlight on them become active, those still in shadow remain quiet until the sun reaches them, then they fly. Just an observation! No mythbusting here!

For a change we have only had an inch of snow but its - 6 out side last night we had a - 10.
Couldn't even open the tunnel door.
Im supposed to be digging a hole for one of the Guinea pigs sucome to old age.

Hopefully this will warm you up.

Last edited:
We hardly get any snow in Essex but this week we've had a small taste of what the rest of the country has had for weeks.
Took a few bees by surprise as I found them as little frozen statues on the front of the hive. Presumably tempted out by the hour or two of brilliant sunshine but couldn't make the final couple of inches home 🙁
I lived in Billericay for a brief period. We got one of the rare "bad" winters and I was witness to some fantastically ridiculous driving on the A13. Slowly going along in a single stream of traffic the line was overtaken by an idiot in the snow covered outside lane at around 60mph. He lost control and waltzed along for around a hundred yards before coming to rest astride the central reservation. Everyone carried slowly on and left him to his embarrassment.

The sunlight has shone in the entrances and the bees have been attracted to the sunlight and succumbed to the cold.

Presumably tempted out by the hour or two of brilliant sunshine

Not by the direct sunlight but the strong reflection, which may be polarised, from the snow. A screen on the south side would likely reduce the losses.

Snow.... some on Dartmoor

Worse to come we now have wild fires, No bees up there... but I can see the flames last night from our study window.... and on the news... fires around and on Bodmin moor!

I lived in Billericay for a brief period. We got one of the rare "bad" winters and I was witness to some fantastically ridiculous driving on the A13. Slowly going along in a single stream of traffic the line was overtaken by an idiot in the snow covered outside lane at around 60mph. He lost control and waltzed along for around a hundred yards before coming to rest astride the central reservation. Everyone carried slowly on and left him to his embarrassment.
It’s best to live in Billericay for only a “brief period”.

Brrrrr......... just looked out across to N.Ireland I can see the white out approaching, 50mph gusts at 0 degrees from the SE - ☃ -

My hives get the rising sun on them, one at a time. Those with the sunlight on them become active, those still in shadow remain quiet until the sun reaches them, then they fly. Just an observation! No mythbusting here!

Yes, same here if the sun is striking the front of the hives. However I have four hives facing north and the bees don't fly, even though the sun is shining on the back of the hives.

We had a good covering in the Vale of Glamorgan

Attachments

• IMG-20210213-WA0007.jpeg
    IMG-20210213-WA0007.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 10

Latest posts

Back