Snelgrove Split Question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jengles

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all! I've used a DIY snelgrove board to split a hive. The original queen is in the bottom, then there are two supers, the board, and finally brood, nurse bees and a ripe QC on top. I want the new queen to emerge, start laying, and then unite them all with the new queen.

However, I've read that once a qc hatches it's best not to disturb the hive lest the virgin get balled or fly away. Does this mean I have to leave the whole stack undisturbed for 3 weeks, and not inspect the bottom box? What are the chances of the bottom box deciding to swarm in this time??

Would it be easier to just move the top box to one side with a new roof and let the virgin mate from the new location?

original queen is in the bottom, then there are two supers, the board, and finally brood, nurse bees and a ripe QC on top.
I usually don't bother, given that to avert swarming one of 3 elements - brood, flying bees or queen has been removed. Did you leave the Q on her frame in a box of foundation on the floor, as in an AS, and is there space in the supers?

Latest posts

Back