Snelgrove Board

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ceph

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi,

Is there a link to anywhere that can be recommended with step by step guidance on using a Snelgrove Board?

Thanks.

would you want to try it for fun or because it has been suggested as a good method?

PH

My apiary is quite small and with the hive I need to undertake swarm control on I would benefit from stacking rather than having a third hive lined up.

With the wild (other) hive I have it is less of a problem due to the siting of it and I dont beleive they will swarm this year, but you never know!

I plan to have three hives so snelgrove will just give me breathing space for construction of a new combined stand whilst artifical swarming.

But saying that, yeah do it for fun since it is reported as a good method, why not try it especially with my limited space.

Quite a few people here say it's too much bother yet others swear by it.
I took one look at a board and decided all I saw was greek letters and felt I'd never understand. Yesterday somebody showed me how to AS turning the new colony entrance 45˚ to the parent then again 90˚ when moving the new box to the other side a week later. Then he showed me how a snelgrove works, putting the side with no doors to the front and it all fell into place. Simple.
I'd never have got it without being shown...... but then I'm blonde :blush5:

Using the KISS principle and assuming one can get a bit pf ply to fit the hive one is using, and strips of 8mm or 9mm thick, x 20mm pine make a rim round the board with a hole, say 4" long created by NOT putting in the strip.

Colony offering to swarm, cells with grub in seen.

Organise new brood box and have to hand plus board.

Find queen. Put her on her frame of brood in the new Briood Box and if wanted add another frame of stores and pollen, fill with foundation. Put on queen excluder and supers.

Put board on top with entrance facing away from the main hive entrance. IE North instead of south, east instead of west.

Put box with cells on top, removing all the most advanced ones. Check again in a week and again remove the most advanced ones.

Exercise patience.

Result will be a mated queen in the top box and a considerable amount of work by the parent colony.

And all vertical and no timetable as such to keep.

PH

Have a look on the Scottish beekeepers website.

Latest posts

Back