smelly marigolds

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockdoc

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Having switched (successfully) from leather gloves to marigolds, I wondered if anyone has a cure for the smell. Yes, I do wash out and in with washing soda, but the smell lingers. Powder perhaps?

Make the next move onto disposable nitrile or latex gloves. Five squid for 100.

:iagree:

Having injured a finger on my left hand I am unable to wear my usual gloves and have just used the nitril glove on that hand and am almost convinced it is the way to go!

That is my current 'general purpose' choice.
But Lidl's don't always have them in (;) £4/100 the last lot) and ... one step at a time! One can work through 'more sensitive' rubber gloves before trying the fully disposables. I know of a couple of beeks whose 'Marigolds' are barely thinner than welding gloves!

I use nitrile gloves they are useful as I swap between hives so reduce carrying diseases over to other hive. I only have 2 hives though so economical for me to do this. Also new pair means no pheromones carried across so second hive just as calm as first hive.

Sadly there's nothing you can do about the lingering smell on the hands from marigolds.....I have these gloves for a whole host of jobs, not just beekeeping! I just wash my hands afterwards and slap on some hand cream. Just use the cheapy ones and chuck them when they get too yucky.

Thanks everyone. I have tried nitrile gloves, but cannot find any that go over my sleeves. Occasionally go bare handed, but the bees get stuck on my hairy knuckles! However, whichever type you use its certainly the way to go for hygiene in your apiary.

...I have tried nitrile gloves, but cannot find any that go over my sleeves...
Nitrile come in many forms, long or short cuff and varied thickness. Seems to be a little less sweat affected than the equivalent latex versions. A previously recommended supplier is justgloves dot co dot uk. Seen quite a few using the green flock lined nitrile gauntlets recently. They wash well inside and out with washing soda and last a few weeks if you keep one pair per apiary.

No connection with the company, other than just another customer.

Latest posts

Back