Size: Queen wasp Vs European hornet Vs Asian hornet

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torq

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 Hives, 4 Nucs.
Hi Guys,
as someone who lives in a hornet free country so has never seen one, but has plenty of queen wasps. Which is bigger, and by how much?
Thanks.
Torq

I'ver seen a number of queen wasps here in Ireland, they have never been as big as some of the hornets I've see in France.

Hi Guys,
as someone who lives in a hornet free country so has never seen one, but has plenty of queen wasps. Which is bigger, and by how much?
Thanks.
Torq

The European hornet is the biggest, and most exotic looking, about 30mm for queens according to the BWARS site.

BWARS go on to say that the Asian hornet is slightly smaller at 30mm for queens and 25mm for workers....not helpful...

The colouring is different - in flight, the European is noticeably yellow and, what I would call, chestnut red (though perceived colour is notoriously unreliable and variable, depending on light conditions)

The samples I have seen of Asian hornet, admittedly only preserved (but alongside a preserved native for comparison), indicated that the Asian is smaller and noticeably darker than the European - I'd say about 5 - 7mm smaller.

Most people (media) seem to be sticking up pictures of the Giant Asian hornet, which bears more resemblance to the European. Given the tendency for beekeepers to swat queen wasps, as referred to elsewhere on this forum, I fear for our native hornet. If beekeepers swat without thought, what is jo public going to do when they hear about giant killer hornets....

The hornets we see around these parts are a good inch and a half long, and have a distinctive, deep buzz. They also like to come in through yr windows at night if the lights are on. I found one in the bed last year and nearly had a heart attack. They are, as long as you keep out of their way, harmless. They don't go after bees near the hive, only those foraging.

The Asian hornets are nothing like the monsters we see in the media. Well not the ones around here. They are smaller and sleeker than their European counterparts. The colouring is different with the European hornets being more yellow whilst the Asian hornets being darker with a single ring of orange. Big giveaway is the yellow legs on Asian hornets, black legs on European hornets. My hornet traps unfortunately catch too many European hornets and need a redesign. I need a smaller entrance although that's not going to stop wasps.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Here in The Midlands (of the UK) I never saw a hornet until a year or so ago. And I've only ever seen one.

I don't think there have been any recorded sightings of Asian hornets in the UK.

Hi. What Babnic42 says is totally correct. There is one other big difference. The Asian Hornet that we get here (not to be confused with the giant Asian Hornet) hovers unlike the European one.
I have four traps and have been one in front of one of my hives here and another two above a plant they seem to love, along with bumble bees. For over two weeks I have been catching at least two a day in each trap. I also have a cheep badminton raquet and that has claimed about a dozen.
My only hope is that they did not set up a nest close to my hives as then my hives would have no chance.

Michael

Yes the hovering is impressive. They line up, backs to the hive waiting to pick off bees as they return from foraging when they are heavy and clumsy. The hovering makes it easy to pick them off with my battery operated electric racquet. Apparently they say here in the charente maritime you are never further than 200 metres from a nest. I think the threat from Asian hornets has been over stated to be honest. Yes they will pick off bees but unless the hive is already weak I haven't seen any actually enter a hive. I may have been lucky and the combination of traps and my badminton skills may be what's keeping things manageable.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I have the same experience. Just a few at a time no one enters the hive as I have what used to be called mouse guards and some one called a hornet guard.
Oh yes the electric mosquito racquet is also very good.

Good luck if you have that many nests but you may be right slightly over estimated.

The European hornet seems to be a lazy bugger, and not interested really in stinging you, but the Asian seems to go for everything just for the heck of it! I was inspecting a hive last year when one appeared to my side, hovering waiting for my bees to come out the top! Over here they say if you have a hornet near the hive look not more than 100 metres for the nest - not tried that yet.

Back