Singing Queen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DenB

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I had the distinct priviledge of watching a queen emerge last night and begin scuttling around. Shortly after she disappeared in amongst the frames there was a sound not unlike the pitch and frequency of a hunting horn (but not as loud!) coming from inside the brood box. This was repeated a few times and as far as I can determine must have been made by the new queen beating her wings very quickly. The workers immediately started trying to disassemble the remaining queen cells we were looking at and dragging the corpses away.

Has anyone else experienced this? I should add this was before I had the celebratery cider!

It's 'queen piping'. The newly emerged queen issues a clarion call to attract the attention of any unhatched Q's that may be about to emerge so that she can, ermmmm, sting them to death... Welcome to the forum!

Thanks Moggs. It's quite an eerie sound in the gathering gloom. At least I can now celebrate her birthday at 20.50 on 13 June 2011. Solves the 'how old is your queen' question!

Its fantastic isnt it? The high 'toot-toot' sends a thrill!

Thanks Moggs. It's quite an eerie sound in the gathering gloom. At least I can now celebrate her birthday at 20.50 on 13 June 2011. Solves the 'how old is your queen' question!

you're going to have to have a fair number of shades of Q marking pens, if your marking them by date and time, as well as year..... :rolleyes:

:biggrinjester:

It's trying to make the candles stick on them when we have the party that's going to be difficult. And yes, it is fantastic.

It's 'queen piping'. The newly emerged queen issues a clarion call to attract the attention of any unhatched Q's that may be about to emerge so that she can, ermmmm, sting them to death... Welcome to the forum!

Is this the only reason for piping, or are there other circumstances when you might hear it?

As far as I'm aware, this is the only reason for the call, although unhatched queens apparently make more of a 'quacking' sound. I was fortunate enough to watch a fully formed queen emerge after I nipped open a cell recently (thinking it had been resealed by the bees). Queen obstetrics - whatever next?

She scurried off quite contendedly piping away, almost like the rhythmic buzz of a mobile phone. She's mated now and laying like a good 'un.

There's a video (with sound!) on the forum of some Queens in cages 'piping' at each other - worth listening to - fascinating!

Latest posts

Back