Should I combine?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do224

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I aim for 4…often becomes 6
I’ve got a colony that’s never really got going. It was a swarm that arrived in a bait hive in early July. I put it in a hive with all drawn comb and it covered 7 frames. It still covers 7 frames. They’re extremely dark bees.

I have a nuc I could combine with the hive if it’s not too late in the year to do so. Is this the best plan? I guess I would keep the queen from the nuc and squash the other

I’ve got a colony that’s never really got going. It was a swarm that arrived in a bait hive in early July. I put it in a hive with all drawn comb and it covered 7 frames. It still covers 7 frames. They’re extremely dark bees.

I have a nuc I could combine with the hive if it’s not too late in the year to do so. Is this the best plan? I guess I would keep the queen from the nuc and squash the other
I’d leave them alone; do what I can to get them through the Winter and let them surprise me in the Spring.

I would dummy them down with insulation to those frames and assess in spring

swarm ... put it in a hive with all drawn comb and it covered 7 frames. It still covers 7 frames
May have had a slow start if it superseded an old swarm queen; may have been retarded by a lack of income in August which would otherwise have kept the queen laying; may have been better off to begin with in a compact 6f nuc than rattling about in a BB. All in all, stick it in a 6f nuc and watch it grow in spring.

May have had a slow start if it superseded an old swarm queen; may have been retarded by a lack of income in August which would otherwise have kept the queen laying; may have been better off to begin with in a compact 6f nuc than rattling about in a BB. All in all, stick it in a 6f nuc and watch it grow in spring.
She was laying soon after arrival so I expected them to grow fast but alas they never did. Gave them a feed when they arrived and a little since but nothing doing. Haven’t inspected them since early August so not sure what the situation is now. No spare nucs so would have to dummy down.

My other nuc that I was thinking of combining them with is in a wooden box so I think I better transfer them into my only poly nuc box for the winter. Should probably have done it sooner really

She was laying soon after arrival so I expected them to grow fast but alas they never did. Gave them a feed when they arrived and a little since but nothing doing. Haven’t inspected them since early August so not sure what the situation is now. No spare nucs so would have to dummy down.

My other nuc that I was thinking of combining them with is in a wooden box so I think I better transfer them into my only poly nuc box for the winter. Should probably have done it sooner really
Just wondering what the brood pattern was like? And if you treated them.
Most prime swarms unless they superseded? With good income should of been bursting I would of thought even if they were black.
They had drawn comb as you said which would of helped them, did they become honey bound?

Just wondering what the brood pattern was like? And if you treated them.
Most prime swarms unless they superseded? With good income should of been bursting I would of thought even if they were black.
They had drawn comb as you said which would have helped them, did they become honey bound?
I know, it’s weird. I vaped them on day 5 after they arrived before they capped any brood. Solid floor so couldn’t see the mite drop. The brood pattern looked fine on the couple of occasions I inspected them. About 3 weeks after they arrived they had I think three frames of sealed brood and probably another one of open brood. They also seemed to have plenty stores, having been fed. Certainly not honey bound as the unused frames are drawn but empty.

I took this pic on the first inspection after they arrived, just after I marked the queen…

857E2F6A-AC9D-4452-A413-5B6660B765F3.jpeg

Latest posts

Back