Shopping List

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westawake90

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Evening all, apologies as this question has probably been asked numerous times before but I have decided to ask it again!! I am aiming to start beekeeping this year and currently completing a course and will have a mentor. Just in terms of what I need to purchase to start with (excluding bees) would the following be sufficient:
  • 2 complete national hives (aim to have brood box plus 3 supers on each)
  • Bee suit
  • Smoker
  • Hive tool
I aim to only have 2 hives to begin with and trying to stick to some sort of financial budget. Do I need to add anything for the time being to this list or is there anything you would change??

Thanks for any responses.

I'd add a queen catcher clip, so when you find her you can keep her safe while you look at the rest of the frames (and you'll want to even if not needed).
I'd also add a nuc box if possible, which could give you some breathing space when you find swarm preparations or have a swarm.
Welcome to the slippery slope! 🙂

Ensure you buy any equipment in the sales or seconds, boxes are nearly 2/3rds cheaper the bees won’t give a monkeys. I’d suggest an extra brood per hive allowing for double brood or swarm prevention manipulation.

I'd add a queen catcher clip, so when you find her you can keep her safe ...

I'd also add a nuc box if possible, which could give you some breathing space
when you find swarm preparations or have a swarm.
Welcome to the slippery slope! 🙂
Or more likely trap her in the jaws of the damned thing and kill her !

You can have the one I bought when I started out and have never used ... £1 for the postage !

Never found a need for a queen catcher or for caging her whilst I do inspections .. if you manage to see the queen on a frame just put it gently back in the hive and move on - although I view queen hunting as a pretty pointless exercise - it's not often that you MUST find the queen. Generally you are just looking for BIAS, Stores and disease - none of which really need you to find the queen - let alone interfere with her ...

A nuc box is a useful addition though.

I'd add in the Haynes manual of beekeeping as well.

Last edited:

You can have the one I bought when I started out and have never used ... £1 for the postage !

Never found a need for a queen catcher or for caging her whilst I do inspections .. if you manage to see the queen on a frame just put it gently back in the hive and move on - although I view queen hunting as a pretty pointless exercise - it's not often that you MUST find the queen. Generally you are just looking for BIAS, Stores and disease - none of which really need you to find the queen - let alone interfere with her ...

I suspect a few queens are killed by new beekeepers handling frames poorly, and understandably wanting to look through the whole hive. As long as you use the catcher carefully & close the jaws carefully they can be very safe & protect the Q whilst the rest of the hive is disturbed.
I'd agree finding the Q is not often essential, but it's also a good skill to learn, and most new beeks will want to try.
If you've never used the clip what makes you feel they are dangerous?

I'd agree finding the Q is not often essential, but it's also a good skill to learn, and most new beeks will want to
If you've never used the clip what makes you feel they are dangerous?
I said I've never used mine ... I have, however, seen these monstrous creations used - one queen killed and one badly damaged. The springs are too harsh, the queen makes an unexpected dash for freedom as you close the clip up and she's squished, they are more likely to kill a queen than inept frame handling. Just junk ...

If you need to catch a queen - a matchbox is a much safer option ..., if you need to mark a queen then trap her on the frame with a crown of thorns or learn to pick her up without hurting her.

Handling frames properly is a basic beekeeping skill ... with a dummy board in the hive removed there is space made and you ease the next frame back before lifting so you avoid rolling the bees. Gentle and slow movements should ensure no queens (or other bees) are killed during inspections. If you need a bit more space to ease your clumsiness take another frame of stores out - check the queen is not on there and prop it alongside the hive ...

If you are killing queens and need to trap them to stop it happening .... you ain't doing it right !

Last edited:
Handling frames properly is a basic beekeeping skill ...
If you are killing queens and need to trap them to stop it happening .... you ain't doing it right !
Absolutely agree, but feel it can be useful whilst learning frame handling.
I'd also agree the springs are strong - I don't think they should be allowed to snap shut! Just close them slowly and gently whilst watching the Q.
I guess as with everything in beekeeping some things work for some people. 🙂

Absolutely agree, but feel it can be useful whilst learning frame handling.
I'd also agree the springs are strong - I don't think they should be allowed to snap shut! Just close them slowly and gently whilst watching the Q.
I guess as with everything in beekeeping some things work for some people. 🙂
We had a thread on here a few years ago ... the most useless thing I bought in beekeeping ... frame grips and spring loaded queen killers came top of the list ... They should both come with warning as far as I'm concerned ...porter bee escapes came pretty near the top as well ...

But ..whatever floats your boat - if it works for you, who am I to argue ....

Attachments

• queen catcher.jpg
    queen catcher.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 0
  • frame grips.jpg
    frame grips.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 0
A useful tool for a beginner is a nuc box if for no other reason than putting the frame with the queen on safely inside while you look at the rest of the colony. You need to when you first start....come on....who didn't? and who didn't take ages to do it?
Agree about the clip. A dangerous machine in the shaky hands of a novice. The turn and mark cages are great. I pick mine up to mark them.

If you get your hives flat pack and put them together yourself, you learn a lot about how the hive works. It might even inspire you to make your own bits and pieces when you see how they fit together. I’ve made my own nuc box, ekes, clearer boards and stands and saved a bit and all out of spare wood lying around.

Evening all, apologies as this question has probably been asked numerous times before but I have decided to ask it again!! I am aiming to start beekeeping this year and currently completing a course and will have a mentor. Just in terms of what I need to purchase to start with (excluding bees) would the following be sufficient:
  • Bee suit
  • Smoker
  • Hive tool
I aim to only have 2 hives to begin with and trying to stick to some sort of financial budget. Do I need to add anything for the time being to this list or is there anything you would change??

The list is endless..need a nuc for swarm control, 2 Queen excluders, Queen cages, Queen marking pens, spare hive tool, nitrile gloves, some type of hive stands, soda crystals and buckets, spare frames and wax for brood and super boxes, storage space for your equipment,

Keep it simple to start with. If your buying bees in the queen will probably be marked so no need to faff around trying to mark her. It always makes me smile when I see the bits of kit beginners have collected and then found they will never use.Hive stands can be some old pallets or concrete blocks or make your own.Honey extracting kit can be loaned from most associations why spend the money until you are sure everything is good. If you have a mentor most will lend you a bit of kit in an emergency.

The list is endless..need a nuc for swarm control, 2 Queen excluders, Queen cages, Queen marking pens, spare hive tool, nitrile gloves, some type of hive stands, soda crystals and buckets, spare frames and wax for brood and super boxes, storage space for your equipment,
And it never stops does it ?

There is always another bit of kit needed for some reason or another ... but try and avoid the 'must have' gadgets that get thrust in your direction. Avoid impulse buys unless it's something you know you wll need and a bargain. Make your lists:

1. Priority, you need it to get started.
2. What I will need eventually, short, medium and long term.
3. Nice to have but not essential.

Your lists will be very dependent upon where you envisage your beekeeping going ... is it going to be a 2 hive home operation or do you envisage it expanding and how far will you expand ?

It pays to be a bit DIY if you can - buying self assemble hives and frames saves a lot... it's not difficult to make your own floors, roofs and stands and that will save a lot. You can get by with salvaged timber and in some cases second hand items. It very much depends on the depth of your pockets ! It's not a cheap hobby in the early days but, once you have established your operation at the size you want and are prepared to put a few hours in then honey sales can generate enough revenue for it to be self funding ... some years !

• Bee suit
  • Smoker
  • Hive tool

That should be sufficient. A flathead screwdriver works as a hive tool if need be. Spray bottle of water can be a good thing as an alternative to smoke but always have a smoker lit too.

Oh, and some bees... ;)

Thanks for the responses so far. Plan on making my own stands from timber and hopefully bees will come in a Nuc which ideally will be poly.

Are additional brood boxes more important for swarm management? Also this might be a stupid question but what do you do with frames that you swap out of the brood box, say for example when swapping stores for foundation in order to give space.

Thanks for the responses so far. Plan on making my own stands from timber and hopefully bees will come in a Nuc which ideally will be poly.

Are additional brood boxes more important for swarm management? Also this might be a stupid question but what do you do with frames that you swap out of the brood box, say for example when swapping stores for foundation in order to give space.
Depends where you buy your bees as to what they come in - most nucs are sold in in correx boxes - not a lot use they are pretty much disposable. You could use them for storing any surplus frames but you would need to make sure they are stored somewhere that vermin and wax moths can't get at them ... and treat the frames for wax moth before they are stored as well.

Depends where you buy your bees as to what they come in - most nucs are sold in in correx boxes - not a lot use they are pretty much disposable. You could use them for storing any surplus frames but you would need to make sure they are stored somewhere that vermin and wax moths can't get at them ... and treat the frames for wax moth before they are stored as well.
They are useful for transporting spare frames to and from the apiary though. Light weight and bee proof if you seal up the entrance. I found one very handy last year.

They are useful for transporting spare frames to and from the apiary though. Light weight and bee proof if you seal up the entrance. I found one very handy last year.
Yes. I scoured the net for 14x12 correx nucs and bought half a dozen.

Latest posts

Back