SHB found in 16 italian apiaries so far...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alanf

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
BBKA have circulated a statement, probably on their website soonish. There is some news from the various government bodies. There are 16 identified apiaries with SHB, all within the closer 20 km zone around the originally identified infection. 600 imports from Italy have been inspected , no SHB found.

The BBKA are particularly unhappy that while there is a 100 km zone with a movement ban for hives and bee material there is no restriction for any plant or soil. Or any prospect of a restriction. They see this as the most likely long distance route to the UK.

The BBKA are particularly unhappy that while there is a 100 km zone with a movement ban for hives and bee material there is no restriction for any plant or soil. Or any prospect of a restriction. They see this as the most likely long distance route to the UK.

Italian veg is the likeliest transmission route. There's masses more movement of that than there is of bees (despite the beefarmers best efforts).
Coming soon to a tomato near you ...

...Coming soon to a tomato near you ...
I suspect most of the tomatoes from Italy to UK travel in cans. According to some, melons could be the most likely carrier. I'm not a melon farmer, but when might Italian melons be available all over Europe? August to end of year?

when might Italian melons be available all over Europe? August to end of year?

Different types of melon at different times of year, into the beginning of winter.
Watermelons in the UK tend to be from Greece??
Huge amounts of fruit are taken from southern Italy all year round for sale in the north, no doubt with minimal control.

It is just a matter of time.

Italian veg is the likeliest transmission route. There's masses more movement of that than there is of bees (despite the beefarmers best efforts).
Coming soon to a tomato near you ...

It's not called the small veg beetle for nothing:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I have been out this afternoon scorching all the spaghetti trees just in case the pasta beetle comes here in a pack of fresh cannelloni.
Fortunately the UK can supply all its tomatoes needs from ones grown under glass. I believe.

James

Latest posts

Back