Sealed Queen cups in all my hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all sinners,
Because I have sinned too. I left this hive 13 days - all seemed well at the hive entrance and today's inspection confirmed that it was. None of the dreaded QC, but a congested hive nevertheless IMHO and no real attempt to move 'upstairs'. Moved two frames of stores up together with two frames of brood. Some room downstairs for HM to lay and lots of bees. Took one frame of honey for myself just in case they swarm and gobble it all up. Strong smell of almond and very flowery (Elder flower taste) so definitely Hawthorn - might have to blend it with some Ivy for my taste buds! On seven day inspection schedule now and have one colony on three day's depending on what happens at the hive entrance. Good luck to everyone - there is an element of luck for sure! Don't beat yourself up there are plenty of people on the forum to do that for you - sadly!

If you read my post again we inspect every 7 days Sat 1st some play cups Sat 8 QC in every hive there does not seem to be any less bees in the hives???still plenty of grubs of all sizes. Perhaps I explain it not clearly enough.

I too have had the same problem with all my hives bar 3. Cut out 21 sealed QC from 1 alone yesterday amongst THE most angriest of bees ever! 1 QC open and lots and lots of bees! They were ready for the off today I guess. Lots of space but just in case took off the qe with a half full super + an almost empty one on the top. 7 day inspections for this month at least. All the QC looked very good bar 2 which were very stumpy.
The bees face eviction from where there at so I really don't want any more as it looks like I may have to get rid:-( Its another story......... To follow..........A long one too maybe..........grrrrrrr

"The bees aren't reading them."

presumably 'cos only welsh bees can manage the language!!!!!

dickndoris make a good point - it's not just swarming you are looking out for at peak season - if you want maximal yield for your main crop you want lots of bees. a restricted colony won't give it's best. just look at the stacks Finman aims for to get maximal yield from a short flowering season. remember crowding doesn't just promote swarming it also reduces maximal colony size.

similar to PHs working the brood - in that case maximising the brood production during the build-up phase when outer stores are constraining factor.

Hi Robbie, I couldn't see where you said about the seven day inspection. Are you sure that there were no eggs in the play cups when you first saw them?

same here - first post (on 11th) stated you inspected on saturday and every hive had queen cells. second post (12th) stated all ok when inspected 14 days ago. so in my book that meant you had last inspected around weds 29th. sorry for misunderstanding.

but point still is bees can do a lot in even 7 days!!!!

Interesting is that they all got in they head at same time to swarm!
From what the impulse comes?

- Blooming gap?
- huge nectar flow which filled the combs with brood?
- bad weathers?
- you put excluder on?
- you was/were nasty to them and they want a new master?

Last edited:
No this is what I cant understand we check 14 days ago all hives doing well building up just some old play cups the on Sat every hive had sealed QC in but still lots of grubs of all sizes sealed brood and lots of bees I cant make sense of it who said your third year would be better than 1 and 2 ???????? BEES

I seem to be in the same situation as you, opening up my double brood hive this week found 8/9 sealed QC (have already with help done an AS earlier on) and took a couple of QC with brood , stores etc to make a nuc this w/end. There was lots of brood and lava all sizes and found the queen (her second year). I'm completely new to beekeeping as last year the bees did nothing much but try to keep alive and I'm finding this year quite daunting. Not sure where to go from here as I cant really have more than 3 or 4 hives in my garden and am out of equipments!!:hairpull:

Why not remove the queen to a nuc and knock down cells, leaving your choice?

Yes that sounds like a plan, I've had trouble finding the queen but have now pinned her down to the bottom brood box, I can prob find someone to lend me a nuc - thanks that's what I need most practical advice. Does this beekeeping get any easier the longer you keep them, I'm really hoping so!!!!!!

Why not remove the queen to a nuc and knock down cells, leaving your choice?

It helps nothing.

Queen to the nuc...

With same work you make a AS when you arrange the nuc

WHAT IS MATTER GUYS!! Professionals have 500 hives and they arrange swarming.
Don't let poo in pants.

10 hives is nothing to handle.

Last edited:
All ten building queen cells sounds like a bigger problem than simply the bees being swarmy. If it was just the strain then the chances of all ten wanting to swarm at the same time is still low without something else being a factor.

Probably one of the following:

1. National hives (too small) for most queens
2. The amount of free space they have left for storage in the brood chamber
3. Are you near fields of OSR - gave them supers before the flow started
4. Has the queen got additional space to expand into ie another brood chamber
5. Have you fed all ten this year to simulate brood rearing
6. Phone towers (only joking)

During your inspections are you taking note of the percentage of free cells. Last year caught out lots of bee keepers and many colonies couldn't get out to forage properly due to the weather, as a result this year I think they are taking advantage when they can to build up quicker even though the season seems to be 4-6 weeks late this year.

All ten building queen cells sounds like a bigger problem than simply the bees being swarmy. .

I am with Mike. There is something systematic in this yard. I dould imagine that there is a good nectar sourge near by and it affects at same time. Flow fills the brood soace easily.

Looked last 14 days ago.... Normally expanding hive (me) needs every week 1-2 new boxes to the expanding cluster.

3 capped frames produce one box of bees when emerging.
If I take 3 capped frames off from hive,( like I have done) expanding stops.

We inspected yesterday, Hive 8 no sign of queen lots of grubs of all sizes two brood boxes full half a brood with space bottom box 6 sealed QC 2nd Box 5 sealed QC top brood just stores QE then super just starting to be used, bees on all frames.

The same in Hives 7/6 but marked queens seen in both still QC in there we moved the queens + three frames to nucs. The rest we are letting nature take its course life ie to short to worry somebody will enjoy my black bees and good luck to them.

Hi you two,
Swarm catching is the best part! Apparently, you can combine three casts without finding the queens. For some reason they will not fight, I have been told, but accept each other. Check it out!

Latest posts

Back