SBI Visit

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hachi

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Damn! A lot more than I ever thought I'd have
I've just been contacted by the local SBI to do an inspection at one of my apiaries. I consider my hives "shutdown" now for winter and am feeding. Its a bit late in the season for inspections isn't it?

I've just been contacted by the local SBI to do an inspection at one of my apiaries. I consider my hives "shutdown" now for winter and am feeding. Its a bit late in the season for inspections isn't it?

Not to late at all. What’s the problem

Not to late at all. What’s the problem

There is "no problem" as you describe it. Merely that SBI's operate ostensibly during the active bee season. I do not consider my bees to be in the active bee season that's all.

Wouldn't say late, plenty of time for inspecting still, just that we normally rein back now.
Often get SBI requests early to mid September.

Thanks Emyr good to know. All my previous inspections have been at the height of the season never later.

I had 2 inspectors at one of my sites on Wednesday, and was told they will be back in touch to possibly do another of my sites next month.

Have another visit planned for later next month to check a few imported queens, not a problem as far as I am concerned. Queens are doing okay and to me look very healthy.
S

The old system of routine visits seems to have gone.
Visits now seem to be on a "fire brigade" system. Some problem or need.

Ha ha ha for those that can't read or are infused with the conspiracy gene, there is no problem, I am on the list for exotic pest monitoring. Probably because there is an airfield within range. The SBI last checked 4 years ago.

Happy days

I am also an exotic pest monitoring site, as all my apiaries surround Poole Harbour, which is a possible port of entry. For the same reason, I am also a sentinel site for disease monitoring, and send samples to the NBU in York.

I did it for a year Noddy and no contact since

I keep bees near to a major airport and seem to get checked annually now. they know where they are, ring me and check with me and then they go down and take a look. Never been checked this late though.

I keep bees near to a major airport and seem to get checked annually now. they know where they are, ring me and check with me and then they go down and take a look. Never been checked this late though.

The SBI contract runs from April - September so, potentially, you could be contacted at any time between those dates

The SBI contract runs from April - September so, potentially, you could be contacted at any time between those dates

North west are being extended in case hornets turn up

Latest posts

Back