Sat Nav Complaint.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing much annoys me, except the people who cannot reverse when driving on many of the narrow single track roads around here, even if they only need to reverse ten ft, they simply cannot do it, so you have to reverse 400ft to allow them to pass, it is quicker than watching them perform hedge bashing exercises.

:yeahthat:We have some roads around here that have grass growing up the middle which blows visitors minds, the 'grocks' are the worst. If there's no white line down the middle it's not a road. They expect everybody to reverse even if you have a trailer attached, you can hear some of the conversations for miles when they assume the tractor and trailer of silage bales will reverse.

Asked wife to turn hers on tonight. A1 closed ahead. Sat nav re-routed us via a few slippery (frosty) lanes and back on beyond the accident. Don't know if we gained or lost, but likely better than a
long wait or a longer diversion. Has a useful purpose at times.

My wife would see that as a 'romantic evening out'.
I know... I know... I DO spoil her sometimes!:D

Nothing much annoys me, except the people who cannot reverse when driving on many of the narrow single track roads around here, even if they only need to reverse ten ft, they simply cannot do it, so you have to reverse 400ft to allow them to pass, it is quicker than watching them perform hedge bashing exercises.

Have you ever noticed that women driving 4x4's wont move up the bank a bit to allow another vehicle through on a narrow road and also drive around puddles.

Asked wife to turn hers on tonight. A1 closed ahead. Sat nav re-routed us via a few slippery (frosty) lanes and back on beyond the accident. Don't know if we gained or lost, but likely better than a
long wait or a longer diversion. Has a useful purpose at times.

but do you really know that you have been diverted around a jam if you went a different way.

We have choas in Norwich at the moment. They have closed a main city centre street to traffic except buses and taxis.

Signs all over the place.....No Entry etc. Things painted on the road.......

Nope...still dozy dicks driving down there. The road doesnt even really get you to anywhere that you cant get to by a better route.

You are so right. Personally, I enjoy reversing and amuse myself by seeing how fast I can go. Having a long lane to practise on for years has helped. I also enjoy skidding on an old bypassed defunct part of the A14 when it snows.
Cazza

Have you ever noticed that women driving 4x4's wont move up the bank a bit to allow another vehicle through on a narrow road and also drive around puddles.

Around here you don't stray off the tarmac even in a 4x4 unless it's a tractor.
The verges are so soft that you sink up to the axles and can't return to the tarmac, stuck in a tramline.

P.S. Don't drive through puddles on Devon roads, you can't see how deep the bl***y pothole is.

Last edited:
but do you really know that you have been diverted around a jam if you went a different way.-

Yes, I checked on the net this am. 5 car pile up at one of the intervening slip roads. A1south was already coned down to one lane. Check Newark local news, if you wish. Whether our detour was faster or slower, I know not. But better than risking a half hour wait, or longer diversion behind/between HGVs at midnight on very seriously frosted roads. I trust my driving competence and preferred to be on minor roads without the other vehicles. Might have cost us ten minutes in time or saved us a lot of hassle.

Satisfied now?

I would just sit there grill to grill and tell them I can't reverse either as I have a bad neck

I would just sit there grill to grill and tell them I can't reverse either as I have a bad neck

I have been known to just pick up the newspaper and start reading it on the odd occasion...while waiting.

but do you really know that you have been diverted around a jam if you went a different way.-

Yes, I checked on the net this am. 5 car pile up at one of the intervening slip roads. A1south was already coned down to one lane. Check Newark local news, if you wish. Whether our detour was faster or slower, I know not. But better than risking a half hour wait, or longer diversion behind/between HGVs at midnight on very seriously frosted roads. I trust my driving competence and preferred to be on minor roads without the other vehicles. Might have cost us ten minutes in time or saved us a lot of hassle.

Satisfied now?
Did I mention you?

Last edited:
Memory failing? Look at your post #24.

I only quoted what you said. The remark of "do you really know " was a generalisation meaning does anybody. I am now of course aware of the error and that I should of course have said, does "anybody" really know.

but I do however find it rather amusing that you admit you checked to see if the satnav was correct and accurate.

I checked specifically for this thread, actually. But we did discuss the issue as we followed the diversion and wondered if we had gained, or lost journey time unnecessarily. It was interesting that the sat nav had an upturned car as an indicator at the road diversion origin.

Only a week or so ago, my wife was diverted from the M11 and umpteen cars were lost (the diversion sent them along a road which was closed!). She finished up ringing me for location and directions, as their sat nav were taking them round in circles and they were thoroughly lost - yes, a whole convoy of travellers lost in the countryside in the middle of the night!

I checked specifically for this thread, actually. But we did discuss the issue as we followed the diversion and wondered if we had gained, or lost journey time unnecessarily. It was interesting that the sat nav had an upturned car as an indicator at the road diversion origin.

Only a week or so ago, my wife was diverted from the M11 and umpteen cars were lost (the diversion sent them along a road which was closed!). She finished up ringing me for location and directions, as their sat nav were taking them round in circles and they were thoroughly lost - yes, a whole convoy of travellers lost in the countryside in the middle of the night!

Typical plod reaction to an accident. Shut the road, put up a road closed sign and let people find their own way. Same with some road repairs....They closed the A505 into Luton one day without warning or any detour route so that they could use the roadsweeper to clear the chippings up. Trucks stuck in country lanes that didnt even have any road signs.

But, shirley, they would have been in the wrong lane if the right lane was the left lane? Filtering early is not a bad thing on occasions (like if the queue is a long one). Might also depend on their speed cf the speed limit, the lane instructions and the opportunity to change lanes at a later time?

You could be right, you are really keeping death off the roads by learning to fly!

I have been known to just pick up the newspaper and start reading it on the odd occasion...while waiting.

It's not just down the Devon lanes ... try getting a woman in a chelsea tractor taking her kids to school in Sheffield to reverse back 10 feet down the road she has just turned into with cars parked on either side and only room for one car down the middle !! Bit higher stakes than hedge bashing !!!

Now ... what about parallel parking ... now that DOES get funny !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf4TIWECZ30

I defy anyone NOT to watch the full 14 minutes .....

Latest posts

Back