Safe disposal of chemicals?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicky

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hello all

My late father kept bees for many years, and I'm concerned about how to dispose safely of some chemical I've found that he used to use, most of the label of which is in French. It has Swarm written on it and B401, plus insecticide biologique. Would greatly appreciate any advice, as it doesn't have the original box but is probably toxic.

Many thanks

Nicky

B401 is Certan,it prevents waxmoth.
Contains Bacillus thuringiensis - harmless to humans and bees
but deadly to lesser and greater wax moth
Approved by Defra

Google suggests...

B401®, a biological larvicide used against wax moths, Galleria mellonella L., which contains delta-endotoxins of B. thuringiensis var. aizawai, serotype 7.

But advise on disposal seems hard to track down!

Jc

It has a shelf life; we spray it onto frames. Certan doesn't seem too deadly toxic to me.

RAB

Ah thank you! I guess it would be safe to empty down the sink then? Glad it's not too toxic, unless you're a moth, Cazza?

Ah thank you! I guess it would be safe to empty down the sink then? Glad it's not too toxic, unless you're a moth, Cazza?

B. thuringiensis used to be available to treat cabbage whites, but was withdrawn as it proved an irritant to some people.

I would suggest tipping it in a flower bed where the soil bacteria can break it down.

You can take most household cems to the household recycling center.

Spray your clothes with it. It kills clothes moth too.

I'm sort of in the same situation as the OP. Before I too dump it in the garden, is it any good and, if so, how do you use it?

Just Google Certan
for the info sheet.

Your pack probably has some sort of expiry date.
My guess (anyone *know*?) is that it is likely to be less effective, rather than become harmful, after that date.

Mix with petrol and slowly put on a bonfire.

Hello all

My late father kept bees for many years, and I'm concerned about how to dispose safely of some chemical I've found that he used to use, most of the label of which is in French. It has Swarm written on it and B401, plus insecticide biologique. Would greatly appreciate any advice, as it doesn't have the original box but is probably toxic.

Many thanks

Nicky

Is it out of date, Nicky? If not, I'll have it off you. Even if it is a bit, I might have it, though someone will now tell me it only works for two weeks after the date...

Take it to a chemist. They'll dispose of it.

The safest way to dispose of most chemicals is simply to use them in accordance with the instructions. If in doubt email the manufacturers and follow their advice.

Latest posts

Back