Rural Internet........ or lack of!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check all your hardware first, it could easily be your own equipment.

One system at least, should be hardwired.

How far are you from your exchange? Not as the crow flies, think of the cable route. As you mentioned earlier on, it's the price you pay for a rural idyl. Nice scenery, peace and quiet, poor internet service.
Fibre is being rolled out at quite a rate but you won't be seeing that in the sticks anytime soon, the cost would be enormous. I have fibre, up to 40meg with average speed around 38. Does this stop iPlayer buffering on a wireless laptop? Certainly not.

Unless your hub has developed a fault (which is it? The black concave one?) you can more or less guarantee it's your line, either simple line resistance or a possible fault. Do you have any trouble at all with the land line?

i guess the land line seems fine, possibly a bit quiet, with a little static,

Crackling and noise could indicate a problem. Faint speech is more likely to be an equipment fault. Try a phone that you know is ok and take the bottom plate off your master socket so you plug directly to the line while excluding any internal connections. If the fault is still there you have eliminated your side and the fault is outside.
Whether you will achieve a noticeable increase in internet speed is hard to say, some rural routes are a nightmare. The real problem is all this technology is making new demands on an infrastructure that wasn't created to deliver it. Possibly they are waiting for the next great discovery that makes it all redundant.

Before upgrading to fibre I was on 2meg adsl and that was the best internet service I've had.

optic fibre 48Mps ...and a free upgrade to 96mps next month :nopity:

But you need all that speed to make up for the incessant traffic, police/ambulance sirens, inability to see the stars at night....

Left E17 for TR27 6 years ago :winner1st::winner1st:

To get the logs the following may well work:
You can usually get ot the router via a web page.
You will need find the address of the router is also your default gateway.
Depending on your operating system most windows variants will work as follows
click on "start" then select "run". A Run window should appear and beside where it says open type in this:
cmd
and then click on ok. This should open a command window. In here type
ipconfig
and press enter.
This should give you feedback which includes an entry for the default gateway and may look something like 192.168.1.2
Whatever it is is open your browser Internet Explorer or mozilla or whatever you use to surf the web and put the address in like a regular url in other words instead of say www.beekeepingforum.co.uk just put in
You should get challenged for username and password. Once logged in there is usually a logs section!!

And if you follow all that you probably deserve medal!

Latest posts

Back